Six

***** Carly *****

It's been a half hour and the coroner is waiting outside Carol's room with me. Brad just went inside to tell Noah it's time. I want to go in but he asked me to stay out here and I need to do whatever he needs me to do to make this time easier. Not that it can be much easier, I'm pretty sure me and the kids were a mess for months after Lucy and Jim died.

The kids! Shit the kids! How am I going to tell the kids they lost yet another person in their lives that they loved. They literally have no other family left. She was the closest they had to a grandparent, even with her illness.

The door cracks open catching my attention. Noah walks out followed by Brad. Noah doesn't even look up from the ground, instead he just walks down the hall, to our car I'm assuming. I'm standing there with my jaw practically on the floor when Brad speaks up.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Jacobson, but they need to take her, it's been long enough. If you would like a quick minute I can let you in. But only for a minute."

"Thank you, I'll be quick I promise."

I walk in afraid to look at her at first. Once I make it to her bedside there's no avoiding it, I force my eyes to make contact with her now shut eyes. She looks peaceful, like she's just in a deep sleep. She's still tucked in under the blankets. Which makes me almost scared I'll disturb her. Gently I lean down , making sure no part of my body touches her besides my lips as I place a final kiss to her forehead.

"Thank you Carol, you will be missed dearly. I hope you are finally at peace. I will take care of Noah for you, I promise you. I love you so much."

As I go to walk out, I take one last look behind me at her and whisper a 'goodbye'. With a simple curt nod to Brad, I make my way out towards our car. I can feel the storm of tears and sadness brewing inside me and I try with all my might not to let it loose. At least until I make it outside. I don't need the pity looks everyone will give me as I walk through the halls of Carol's nursing home.

Once outside, I look out towards our car and realize Noah is not there. Naturally I look around and with him not in sight still, I make my way towards the far right of the parking lot to the entrance of the garden they have.

I take a deep breath in and wipe the few stray tears that made their way out before I make my way over to Noah who was sitting on a bench.

As I softly sit myself next time him, he turns his palm face up on his thigh. Silently giving me the permission I needed to place my hand in his. "Noah baby."

"She's never going to meet her grandchild." He now moves his hand to my stomach.

"That's not true. She's right now with our first baby, giving Lucy and Jim a break from babysitting." He half smiles and turns to look back out towards the flowers.

"Come on, we have a couple of places to go."

"Where are we going?"

"To find some peace for ourselves and figure out how we are going to honor your beautiful mother. "

"Our." He politely corrects me.

"You are definitely right baby."

The car ride home was quiet, but a comfortable quiet. We were both silently working through our own emotions and thoughts. Being at home was also quiet but far less comfortable. The kids had just gotten home from school and were in the kitchen eating a snack with Stacy. They of course knew something was wrong the second we walked into the house, especially with the enormous dark rain cloud over our heads.

Noah was strong though, impressively strong. He sat next to them and explained what had happened to his mom. He even answered the 20 different questions Jemma 'needed' to know to fully comprehend everything that was going on in her little head. Sometimes we forget she's still so young. Especially since the other two are now veterans at losing a loved one. Jemma has no memory of her parents, other then those we've told her or showed her photos with accompanied stories of.