Chapter 3: Sick in the Head

Date: Thursday, The Eleventh day of April 1912
Place: Titanic – Second Class
Time: 14:07

After dinner, I headed out to the deck to see if Marjorie or Marshall were out playing again.

They weren't.

I walk to the front of the ship and looked out at the sea. All I saw was water. No land at all. I did see a few dolphins swimming around. I watched them for a while. It seemed like they were following us. I can see how fast they were going and was surprised at how they can keep up with the ship. We must be going, oh... I would say about 14 knots. I wasn't sure. I don't know anything about speed. I wonder how fast dolphins can swim.

 I wonder how fast dolphins can swim

  Dolphins Swimming with Titanic

As the dolphins jumped, I notice they were in groups. Usually, three to six to even fifteen in a group jumping and having a great time. There was sometimes one dolphin jumping on its own, but usually would find its way to the others and happily jumping with them.

I really like dolphins and often wonder how anyone would want to kill them for food.

I marvel at the way they jump. When they do they must take deep breaths of air, before going back into the water.

As the ship was moving, I could see the water spraying in large waves. It made the enjoyment of the dolphins more exceptional. They always stayed ahead of the ship.

Eventually, like all entertainment, it ends and I watch the dolphins move away from the ship. I waved goodbye to them. I kind of wished they were still here.

The ship was picking up speed. I can feel the wind in my hair. I put my arms out to feel the breeze. I felt like I was flying.

"This is the greatest thing ever!" I scream.

A strong gust of wind pushed me forward a little and I had to instantaneously hold onto the railing. I almost fell overboard.

"Watch out kid," a passenger yelled. "Don't get too close to the edge. You might fall."

I turn around and see a man looking towards me.

"Hi!" he says walking up to me. "What's your name?"

"My Momma told me not to talk to strangers," I murmur.

"You have a very smart mother," he chuckled.

I start walking away and head back to my cabin. I look back but don't see the man. He just vanished. I continue walking towards the cabin, not knowing that the man was following me.

Once I got back into the cabin and see mom knitting. Most likely a sweater for me or Anneliese. Talking about Anneliese, she was taking a nap. I like taking naps too, but I'm not tired. I see Papa was still asleep and didn't want to bother him. I look over at Momma.