Madelaine 1

I've always dreamt of being rich. Such a simple life to fulfill. Of course, being me, my luck isn't the greatest in that field.
   Hi, I'm Madelaine, a 17 year old servant who works, and lives in the Fortress of Thunder kingdom. I was born here, but then my parents were executed, so now I am alone. I have brown eyes. Boring. Brown hair. Boring. And I'm only 5'4, so I don't get very much attention. My style definitely doesn't make up for it either.
We have a uniform that we wear every, single, day of the year. It's a simple dress that we wear a corset under that goes down to our ankles. I have five of them in my wardrobe. As well as a few different colored hair ribbons, and two pairs of brown shoes that I wear daily. In the bathroom I use, I have a hairbrush, a toothbrush, and a bar of soap. Yeah, not so fortunate.
Today, the king made an announcement to his staff that he would be having a Workers Ball. This is the first time he has ever done anything nice for us. The whole royal family will attend. That includes the king, the queen, and their 3 sons. Kanye, who is 23. Ryan, who is 24. Then, Shadow, he's 20. The older 2 boys are married, but Shadow is looking for a wife right now.
The ball is tonight, and of course, I only have one thing to wear. While other servants don't live here and have other things to wear, I am the only one who was born here, and only has one piece of clothing.
"Snap out of it!" a deep voice yells at me. I flinch in shock, and drop the platter I was holding along with four champagne glasses that were full.
"I'm so sorry sir. I will clean it up immediately." I crouch down and pick up the larger shards of glass, then hurry away to get other things to clean it all up with.
The royal family is eating lunch together. They all continue their small talk while I pick up everything. Once I finish, the king speaks to me, "Madelaine. As a family we have decided that we can spare you a dress for the ball tonight. Your fitting is in a few minutes."
"Thank you sir! That means a lot." "Yes, well this is the only time. Go on now."
I curtesy and scurry away laughing. I guess they know my background since I've lived here my whole life. I just never really cared to think about it. They took care of me when I was little too.
I arrive to my fitting, and pick out a simple dress. I don't really like attention, so better to be safe.
Even thought this is the only other dress I will ever have. It also comes with a pendant. I have never worn or owned jewelry in my life, and it is my dream, so that is also why I chose that one.
I take my dress to my room, and try it on with the pendant. When I look in the mirror, I am pleased with how I look. I smile, and find a pearl white ribbon to wear. I decide to braid two small pieces, and tie them together in the back. I put on my plain brown shoes and frown. They ruin the whole look even though you can't see them.
I hear a knock at the door. "Coming." I open the door to see Shadow standing there, holding a pair of white heels. "Sorry to interrupt y-you," he says stuttering as he looks me up and down. "Oh it's fine your majesty." "You forgot these." He holds the heels out to me, and I take them from him, placing them in my closet. "Thank you sir." I curtesy to him, and he says, "No need for that, I've known you since you were born. I remember you when you were a baby, and look at you now. All grown up. That's why my father gifted you these. He knows we are the only thing you have."
I'm not sure whether to feel hurt, or happy that he has a memory with me, so I awkwardly say, "But sir, curtsying is protocol and polite." He laughs. "Ok Miss Roy. I will see you tonight."
I shut the door, and sigh. I have never talked to Shadow like that before. He seems actually nice. I look in my closet at the amazing shoes and run over to put them on. I laugh looking at myself. I am ready for the ball I think.

I hope you all enjoy the first chapter!!!

.
.
.
.
I hope you all enjoy the first chapter!!!