02

Jeongguk, with wide eyes and parted lips, quickly turns around to face the cage again. He's confident that he watched her body for long enough to conclude that no, she isn't breathing. Still, he walks closer to the cage, closer to the girl.

She is, and has been the entire time they've been there, lying on her side with her arms straight, pointing down towards her thighs that are drawn upwards. Her wrists and ankles are fitted with steel cuffs that chain her to the floor. As Jeongguk's careful steps near her, he focuses his gaze on her chest to see if maybe he was wrong about her state. He hopes so.

And sure enough, her chest moves with small and light breaths, such weak movements which explained why Jeongguk didn't notice them before. When he turns his head to look at her face, he finds her already looking at him.

Her eyes follow his movements lazily, no real expression discernible on her face. If anything, she looks tired. Or like she just wishes they'd leave her alone.

Jeongguk crouches down to be able to see her face better. He notices that, while her body and facial expression aren't moving as much as a millimeter, her eyes flicker over his own features, taking all of him in to inspect.

"I thought you were dead," he admits with a nervous, breathy chuckle.

If he was in her situation, he'd be so incredibly relieved to finally get help, so when the girl isn't showing any sign of getting up or even reacting to his voice, he draws his eyebrows together in confusion. It doesn't get any better when she slowly closes her eyes as if she's simply going back to sleep.

"Hey, hey! Don't! We're gonna get you out of here," Jeongguk promises softly but hurriedly, hands coming out to grip at the bars. He's really starting to worry about her. The girl inhales a long breath, almost like a weak sigh, but keeps her eyes shut.

Jeongguk's beginning to panic, every second they spend on these grounds is riskier than the previous, and he's not going to leave without this girl. He gets up on his feet and reaches his hands out to touch the cold bars of the cage. Unlike back home, the crowbar won't be of any use to break the lock, this one is of a different kind, and there isn't enough space to wedge it in like they did with the cabin's front door.

"Fuck, what do we do?" he asks, turning his head towards Taehyung, who has managed to free the other girl, what's her name? Jia? They're both watching him.

"Yoongi keeps the key on him," the girl, Jia, informs quietly, massaging her sore wrists. Taehyung, noticing that she's shaking, slides off his own jacket to drape over her. She's so small that the fabric reaches down to the middle of her jean-clad thighs. "You might need to get the key from him somehow before you can get her out...."

"Fuck, I can't leave her here, she looks like she'll die any second!" Jeongguk swears, reaching one hand up to run through his dark hair in a stressed manner. What is he going to do?

"You're an alpha, right? Jeon Jeongguk?" Jia asks. He nods rapidly, gaze returning to the girl in the cage. He fears that if he stops watching her, she'll stop breathing altogether.

"I don't know what she is, but he keeps her alive with alpha blood. If you can't get the cage open now, maybe you can at least give her some of your blood until you can come back."

"My blood?"

"Yeah, it will sustain her for a day or two, as well as make her stronger. I don't know exactly how it works, but she only needs a little... For some reason, they're very meticulous about the amount. They only give her a few drops."

Jeongguk's thoughts are all over the place as he tries to add the pieces together. He has no idea what's going on. When he decided to rescue Jia, he didn't expect this. But he realizes that he needs to give it a shot.