06

"These are cute. I like them," you nod with your eyes focused on the little boutique in the distance.

Jeongguk hums from where he stands slightly behind you and under the overhang of another cabin.

"You wanna go inside?" he offers, eyeing the boutique made out of wood and with windows almost from the floor to the ceiling. Inside it, the owner stands behind a wooden counter, her hands carefully wrapping something up for a customer in brown paper.

"What do they sell?"

"A bit of everything but mostly handmade things. I sell most of the things I make to her."

"And people buy them from her?"

"Yeah."

He watches as you observe a woman enter the shop just as the other leaves, wonder reflecting all over the parts of your face that are visible to him.

"I should probably not draw too much attention to myself," you finally decide, turning your head to give Jeongguk a small smile.

It's how the day has been so far, Jeongguk showing you around the village somewhat from the shadows. He reaches a hand out to your waist, smiling happily when he pulls you back against his chest. His fingers hike your shirt up but only minimally and with the purpose of gently stroking your skin.

If it were up to him, there wouldn't be any need to hide—he still doesn't know if there really is—and he can't deny the way his heart tells him to drag you into the spotlight just so he can clear his throat and loudly announce that he's found his mate.

But it's better to be safe than sorry, right? The pack doesn't need to know every single thing since you're not a danger to them, and it would be hard to answer the multitude of questions that would surely arise if he officially opened the gate. The less people talk about you, the better.

Still, it doesn't mean that people don't notice you, because many do. A few may have even seen him hold your hand or kiss you against the side of one of the more remote shops. He just can't stop himself, wanting to experience what a life with you by his side could have been.

Jeongguk can tell that the curious eyes wonder who you are, where you came from, and he even overhears a few whispers saying that you must not be a regular werewolf.

A man even mutters 'witch' as you're passing the quaint bakery, and if you heard it, you don't show it.

Jeongguk can't know if Sana revealed what she witnessed that day in his kitchen, if maybe Jia spilled anything after they rescued her, or if the pack members have simply put two and two together.

A white-eyed, way too big white wolf bursting out from his house around the same time a mysterious girl was spotted being carried around by the alpha?

There are just too many odd instances for it to be considered a coincidence, and although you haven't been out much like today, he truly suspects most of the curious pack has noticed the adoration that fills their alpha's eyes and sculpts his smile whenever he's looking at you.

He doesn't want to cause a scene, and he wasn't going to–although the man hadn't sounded very impressed, being a witch isn't necessarily considered something bad–but when the man doesn't get the reaction he's looking for, he adds, "some alpha, huh? spellbound so bad by pussy, he can't even do his job anymore."

Jeongguk stops abruptly, feeling you crash into his side. "Care to repeat that?" he urges lowly, feeling his blood start to boil. He hasn't gone soft just because he loves now, and if a reminder is due, he'll gladly give it.

There are a few people in the close vicinity, maybe seven, including the man's two buddies. As he turns around to get a good look at them, Jeongguk doesn't even try to recall any of their names.