Shadows

*Edited 2024-08-14*

Shaking, Elowyn gently grasped Maverick's icy hands, her heart breaking with each passing moment. "Goodbye, Maverick. I'll love you, always." She watched as the last spark of life faded from his small body, his skin turning a chilling blue. His lips parted, his eyes rolled back, and his chest ceased its rhythm. Seated on the dusty tiles, Elowyn was overwhelmed by memories that rushed through her mind, a haunting reminder of all they had lost.

She knew the culprit behind this devastation, and vengeance burned within her. Releasing Maverick's hand, she rose, forcing herself to ignore the searing pain radiating through her bones. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she surveyed the scene—mounds of dismembered bodies, each more gruesome than the last. Lifeless eyes stared back, familiar faces frozen in horror. Guilt gnawed at her; how could she have let this happen? She felt powerless, consumed by despair.

Suddenly, footsteps echoed in the silence. Turning, anger coursing through her veins, Elowyn saw her last living relative, her sister Celeste. "Ellie, what happened?" Celeste's voice trembled, her brown eyes squinting to discern her sister's silhouette.

"It was her..." Elowyn whispered, and Celeste's eyes widened in recognition. A shared fear coursed through them. The doors to the dining hall burst open, revealing the woman who had shattered their world.

"SEREPHINA, HOW COULD YOU?!" Elowyn's scream pierced the air, her anger a tempest. Her thoughts swirled in chaos, unable to settle. She felt irrational, overwhelmed by the magnitude of her grief.

"I did what had to be done... now it's your turn." Serephina's smile was wicked. "Do you feel no remorse for the lives you've stolen?" Elowyn's voice trembled with rage. Her fingernails dug into her palms, drawing blood that dripped onto the tiles, mingling with the crimson river that surrounded them. She was a vessel of fury, teetering on the brink of madness.

Serephina tilted her head, feigning contemplation. "No," she laughed, a sound that stoked Elowyn's fury. Elowyn longed to feel the life drain from Serephina as it had from her loved ones.

"You're a monster!" Elowyn screamed, her fists clenched so tightly her nails pierced her skin. She fought the pain, fearing what might happen if she let go.

Celeste stood silently behind her, paralyzed by shock. She offered no defense for her sister, nor for their fallen kin.

"Phasmatos rigescunte induate," Serephina intoned, casting a spell that froze both sisters in place. Elowyn felt trapped, her body immobile save for her eyes and lips.

"Now I may proceed," Serephina declared, retrieving the Amethyst sword, its blade glistening ominously in the moonlight filtering through the stained glass windows.

"WHY?" Elowyn's plea was desperate. "Why all of them? Their lives mattered!" Her voice cracked with grief, but Serephina's gaze remained inscrutable. "You could have just killed me!"

"Why..." Elowyn's voice faltered, her spirit numbing like her hands.

"How could you be so blind?" Serephina's clear blue eyes sparkled with malice. "Your family wished you dead. They deemed you unworthy of power."

"Is that true, Celeste?" Elowyn's heart shattered at her sister's silence. Celeste's guilt was palpable, her frown deepening as she fought back tears.

"Yes, but it was Father's idea. He believed it was the only way. I would never harm you," Celeste choked, unable to reach out.

"You already have," Elowyn spat. "Serephina, end it. There's nothing left for me."

"No, Elowyn, don't surrender," Celeste pleaded. As Serephina approached, dagger in hand, Celeste whispered a protection spell. Her sacrifice would shield Elowyn, a final act of love.

"Come on, Serephina. I'm ready for hell," Elowyn murmured, closing her eyes. When she opened them, the blade was embedded in her. Yet she felt no pain, only the numbness of loss. Beside her, Celeste struggled with her own agony.

"Goodbye, my sister. I love you, always," Elowyn whispered, collapsing next to Maverick. As the spell released, Celeste rushed to them, her life ebbing away. She clung to their cold hands, her vision blurring.

"I'll see you in hell," Celeste vowed to Serephina, refusing to meet her gaze. With her final breath, she whispered, "I love you alw..."