The sword fight

*Edited 2024-08-14*

I strolled through the ominous and shadowy woods, the dense foliage blending seamlessly with the darkening sky. The forest was once a training ground for me and my siblings, where we spent countless hours honing our skills. For me, training had always been a source of pride and strength. Yet now, as I moved through the trees, a sickening feeling washed over me, dredging up memories both cherished and painful, reminding me of the darkness that lurked within.

"Elowyn Marie Castillo, you must confront your past to truly accept yourself," the goddess' voice echoed in my mind. "The light outweighs the dark. You're not a monster; remember that."

Despite the reassuring words, the memories were too painful. Tears streamed down my cheeks, and as my sobs grew louder, Damon, his concern palpable, rushed to my side. "Elowyn, what's wrong?" he asked, his voice filled with worry.

I was trapped in my own anguish, lost in a storm of grief. "Make it stop!" I cried out, my voice echoing through the forest.

Damon knew he had to act quickly. "Elowyn, I'm taking you back," he said firmly, helping me to my feet.

My mother's voice resonated in my head, urging me to hide my vulnerabilities. With a deep breath, I composed myself. "I'm ready," I declared, determined to not show any more weakness.

Damon, though hesitant, prepared to spar with me. "I won't go easy on you," he warned.

"Good," I replied confidently. "May the best warrior win."

The battle that followed was fierce, but my skills prevailed. As Damon lay defeated, I caught my breath, victorious. "That was fun," I remarked, my confidence restored.

Damon, clearly impressed, asked about my fighting prowess. "Where did you learn to fight like that?"

Accustomed to skepticism, especially from men, I shrugged off his surprise. "Years of training and battles," I explained simply.

Damon's curiosity remained piqued. "Were you a soldier?"

I hinted at my past with a touch of melancholy. "I fought alongside warriors, never losing a battle," I revealed.

Damon's astonishment grew. "So, you're royalty?"

I nodded, sadness creeping into my voice. "I was heir to the throne, destined to be queen. But I was killed."

Damon's expression softened, realizing he had overstepped. "I'm sorry," he murmured, regret evident in his tone.

Trying to shift the conversation, Damon suggested, "How about we grab a drink? You're of legal age, right?"

I frowned, puzzled. "Legal age?" I repeated. In my time, the concept of legal age was nonexistent. Both peasants and royalty alike consumed alcohol freely, with little regard for age or social standing.

Damon noticed my confusion. "Right, it's a modern concept. Just checking," he said, a hint of awkwardness in his voice.

I nodded, appreciating his attempt to normalize things. "Lead the way," I replied, ready to leave the shadows of my past behind for a moment and embrace the present.

——————————————-———————
The next chapter is going to continue right after this one.
-k