21. Death to the Pretender!

DECAYED and festering bodies that should have been dead lurched through the room and Leyva's stomach churned. But no one else seemed to react with disgust as she did. Sword in front of her, she slowly turned, checking every corner part of the room she could see. Her mind reeled, trying to work out what could be used as an advantage, what as a weapon.

No one came from behind them, at least, not that she could see yet, so she flicked her gaze once more to the sickening creatures creeping from the dais towards them. Deciding the best option was to stay together, she automatically searched all her men out.

There was Tavis, sword held the right way, facing the horde of bodies. There was Killi, broken and hidden in the arched soffit that Tavis had dragged him into. It wasn't the most convenient place, but at least, Killi would be safe from whatever these creatures would do. Not too far from there, was Kyden, painfully mourning his father behind the pillar. Her heart broke for him. Were that her own father, she didn't know how she would be able to function. But function she needed to, if they were to get out alive.

"No! Tavis, no! Don't listen—It's not real!"

Killi's shouted words as he stretched to try and catch Tavis, lit a spark of understanding. Grimlings. This is what they really looked like; Leyva wondered what they all saw, and why she didn't. Reaching for Kyden, she whispered a warning to him; do not listen to the creatures. But, with his father's body in his arms, he was too lost in mourning to care. Leyva squared herself between him and the grimlings, determined to protect him.

But it wasn't the grimlings she needed to worry about. Tavis walked with them, awe and shock on his face; surprise at someone still being alive. Killi it seemed was not being targeted; what use would he be broken?

Through all of this, the Nagori sat like a terrifying gargoyle carved atop the backrest of the throne. It gestured and twisted its head in all directions, muttering things in a long forgotten language. Leyva realised, as she surveyed the creatures, that some of them were the recently deceased bodies of the soldiers she and Kyden had killed.

"I am a true Lord of Miah!" Tavis yelled and charged a grimling with his sword. But he stopped short and looked pridefully at another—a soldier whose head was turned the wrong way.

"I will! Father, I will make you and Tasser proud!" he gestured at the grimling he'd charged. He was seeing the brother who'd been meant as heir of Miah, but had perished tragically with their father, Leyva assumed. This would not end well. Leyva looked with worry at Killi, across the throne room, who continued to try and call Tavis back.

"Death!" Tavis shouted, beating his chest. "Death to the pretender!"

The pretender? Who was the pretender?

"Leyva!" Killi screamed, his bow raised towards Tavis as the confused man charged at her. She was the pretender he sought to kill!

Leyva stood her ground, widening her stance as she braced for his impact. He wasn't all that difficult to throw off, being as unpracticed in fighting as he was. It was, however, difficult to avoid hurting him. She tried to make sure to use the flat of her blade as she beat him back. Gaining a bit of distance between them, she charged and shoved him with her might, sending him stumbling backwards.

Running back to return to Kyden, she was surprised to see him standing. He stared toward her with anger, and she rushed to tell him Tavis was not himself, taken over by the mind bending abilities of the grimlings.

"How dare you?" Kyden ground out, and his tone set Leyva's hairs on edge. The words were meant for her and not Tavis, as was his anger, she realised. His sword swiped at her and she changed course last minute to avoid being hit. "How dare you make an attempt on my father's life?"

"What?" she stuttered, unable to understand the rage directed at her. The corpse of the fallen King stood, like a newly born foal learning its limbs, and pointed at her. The Nagori's wretched laugh bounced around the room, as it settled into the vacated throne.

"Give up now, Princess! You will never be a match for me, though it seems you've paid my hairy friends a visit."

Levya refused to let the creature distract her attention from the terrifyingly enraged man in front of her. Jumping back again, Leyva tried to call him back from the edge he was on. Desperately working to make Kyden see reason, she begged him to see it was her in front of him.

"It's me, Kyden. You know me. I would never do something like that!" Ducking out of the way of his sword, she put a bit more space between them. "I am not fighting you, Kyden; can't you see that?"

"You disgust me. You aren't a real princess, you're a mockery. A little girl playing at things bigger than she can handle."

She stumbled back as if his sword had caught her. He might have been under the influence of the lies the grimling told him, but those words hurt, causing water to spring from her eyes. They'd come from a visceral hurtful place deep within him in response to the betrayal the grimling had whispered to him. It was just unfortunate that he knew her well enough to do more damage with words than a sword.

Scrambling off the floor, she reminded herself that it didn't matter what he said. Survival did. For all of them. She fought tears as she tried to tire him out, spinning and twisting and ducking every one of his attacks. Until Tavis joined in and between both of them she was backed into a corner, with freshly opened wounds.

"Tavis! You flaming OX! You're no Lord! You fight like my mother!" Killi shouted and continued to do so, pulling Tavis' attention away from her.

With a Themian war-cry, Tavis rushed at Killi.

Using the moment of distraction to her advantage, Leyva kicked Kyden's legs out from under him, and raced across the open room. Tavis was just ahead of her and she sought to stop him from reaching helpless Killi. But as she neared him, Tavis pitched backwards suddenly, a thin shaft protruding from his shoulder. Startled, she looked to Killi, bow aimed and nocking another arrow.

Flaming Eeries, NO! Not Killi too.

Flaming Eeries, NO!  Not Killi too