8. a moonlit night

【pic at the start is a manga spoiler so kinda skip that?】

✿ you have been warned <3

𝑦/𝑛'𝑠 𝑝𝑜𝑣:"footsteps! i hear footsteps!"

𝑦/𝑛'𝑠 𝑝𝑜𝑣:
"footsteps! i hear footsteps!"

"sasha, you really can't be trying to change the subject right now," connie said.

"i'm serious!!"

"are you hinting that there are titans nearby?" you reasoned. sasha's hunches were rarely wrong and she did used to live in a forest.. you still had your doubts though.

"if there are titans here that'd have to mean that wall rose has fallen," reiner added, "how likely is that to have happened?"

you and reiner's reasons visibly shook sasha but you couldn't dismiss the fact that she did hear loud noises that sounded like footsteps if she really wasn't lying. that itself is terrifying even if they weren't titans.

"are all the recruits here?"

"nanaba?!"
what happened? why did nanaba come here in such a panic? did wall rose really fall?

"there are multiple titans coming from the north. wall rose has fallen." she reported.

connie mumbled something and you and the other recruits looked over at him. he looked terrified. "from the south... that's where my village.."

it's been well over a few hours and you were riding with the southern team, led by connie. the group came across some castle ruins called "utagard castle" according to some writing in the ruins.

the team was resting inside when the quiet night was interrupted when one of the seniors on guard informed you all that there were titans coming.

while nanaba and the other seniors were defending the castle from the titans, your group was finding ways to form a barricade to prevent titans from coming inside.

one thing puzzled you though,
how can the titans still move at night? according to all the previous research and experience, titans were inactive at night. we're there somehow special?

this made you worried, but before you could worry about nanaba and the others,
ymir had a cannon rolling down the stairs and crushing the titan.

it was an eventful night, but they were holding out. however eventually, the soldiers protecting your defenseless selves succumb to their injuries or ran out of gas or blades. the recruits watched them die, one after the other.

"all we have is this one little knife," connie grimaced.

"i wish i could fight and die along side them,," christa proclaimed.

ymir replied, "you're still going on about that stuff? don't use their deaths to kill yourself and make it seem heroic!" she was mad.

don't judge, if ha- if someone important to you said that i'd be mad too.

at that, you sighed, "if only we could actually do something."

"you too y/n?! i thought you were normal!"

"don't die on us y/n! we still haven't gotten to feast together yet!"

you laugh uncomfortably but you were glad they were acting like the usual. "no no it's not like that,, you know.. like if we had gear we could've helped them..? you know??"

you looked i've too see that connie had hesitantly given ymir the knife.

"what are you going to do with it?"

"i'm going to fight with it."

with the brave announcement, ymir jumped off the edge of the tower as lightening struck.

a titan transformation..?

am i going to die on this beautiful, moonlit night?

going out on this particularly clear night didn't sound bad. but, your thoughts had to drift to the one you apparently loved. what is hange doing right now? experiments? reading? sleeping?

i wish i could see her right now.

you let your imagination go wild, because why not? you felt like you were in a dream,, staring at the spotted skies reminded you of the times you went stargazing as a child. the warm but almost comforting night was how you imagined being in hange's arms would feel like. but like everything else in the world, all good things must come to an end.

your eyes jerk open because the realty was, that, you were falling from the castle ruins. you could not do anything to stop it and so you spent your last conscious moments regretting your tendency of letting your thoughts wander off.

what a dumb way to go,

authors note:
messy :/
this is a hange fic what the fuck am i doing
help lmao
if i can ima try to get to the hange action,, i wanted to take it slowly and realistically but we're not getting anywhere bc of my lack of planning so we're just gonna have to dive into it; hopefully people will actually stay to read it lol