Chp 1: Summer meets Winter

Hey everyone, I wrote this story a couple years ago. I'm not entirely thrilled with it, but I wanted to do something with it. I figured I'd put it up for everyone to read, so it's not just sitting on my computer going to waste.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Chapter one: Summer meets Winter

If someone had asked me a year ago if I believed in mythical creatures, I would have told them they were just that, a myth.  Today however, is another story. 

My name is Summer Braden; I grew up in the city, surrounded by corporate monsters, not the fairy tale kind.  My life was what you would call normal, maybe even boring. 

I’m five foot five with dark brown hair that reaches the middle of my back.  My sister, my brother and I all inherited the same blue eyes from our mother, but I’m not complaining. 

I graduated high school second in my class, but decided to take a year off before I went to college.  After some meaningless jobs, I decided to go back to school.  

Like I said before, normal and boring. 

I started taking night classes in the fall, that’s where I met Tristan Winters. 

I didn’t notice him at first, I was focused only on my studies, but he sat behind me one night during one of Dr. Harpy’s impossibly dull lectures. 

You know the feeling you get when someone is watching you?  Well you could say I had that, and then some.  Generally you don’t find the eyes that are upon you, but I did.  His eyes were deep and searching; he met my gaze, and held there for what seemed like an eternity.  As suddenly as I had been taken in, I was released, and I hadn’t missed a single word of Dr. Harpy’s lecture. 

After that, it was like I couldn’t get away from him, he was in all my classes. 

From time to time I would look back and he would be there staring at me, just like the first time, but he never approached me or even said hello.  Pretty soon my eyes would automatically zero in on him whenever I entered a classroom.  I’d smile at him meekly and take a seat on the opposite side of the room, but he always managed to move to a seat close behind me.  Creepy!

He was devilishly handsome, with his wavy brown hair, his slightly squared and firm jaw, and his shadowed eyes; but to tell you the truth I was a little afraid of him.  The funny thing was, even though he frightened me, I couldn’t help but be attracted to him. 

This silent staring went on for three weeks before he approached me while I was walking to my car. 

I heard my name being called from behind, when I turned around, he was so close I could have touched him.  My breath caught in my throat, and I stumbled back a step. 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to frighten you” His voice was as smooth as silk; it took me awhile to respond. 

“It’s alright” I managed to cough out.  He must think I’m an idiot, I thought as I stared up into his shadowed green eyes.  A brilliant smile flashed across his handsome face, and revealed a set of dimples.  What a smile!

“You left your book in class” again with the silky voice.

 “Oh, thanks” I sounded like an idiot in my own head, so why he was still standing there was beyond me. 

My head was spinning, the logical part of my brain was telling me to take the book and go home, that he was trouble.  The less logical part of my brain was screaming ‘take me, I’m yours’.