Chp 16: Transformation

Chapter sixteen: Transformation

The pain returned with greater intensity as someone shook me.  Let me die – my body screamed – death was comforting, there was no pain in the eternal darkness of death. 

I tried to ignore the pain and slip back into the darkness, but his pleading voice tore at my soul, pulling me back to the light. 

“Wake up Summer; wake up.  I know it’s difficult, but you have to wake up.  Stay with me baby; stay with me” I could hear the desperation in his voice, but the pull of the darkness was strong, and I knew if I let myself be pulled under, the pain would disappear. 

Fresh pain rippled across my scalp as something pressed against the back of my head; his fingers?  I fought against the pain and the darkness to the sound of his voice. 

“Tristan?”  I managed to get out, as I opened my eyes.  I wanted to tell him everything before the black expanse of nothingness pulled me under forever, but my lips didn’t want to move. 

“Yes love, I’m here” His voice sounded far away, my hearing was muffled; like trying to hear with cotton balls in my ears.  I tried again to tell him everything, but it came out distorted. 

“I wanted to say good-bye… It was a trap… I tried not to scream… I love you” I could feel myself slipping away; torn between the promise of the end of my pain, and Tristan’s pleading for me to stay.  I could faintly hear him trying to keep me awake. 

“You’re going to be alright Summer, you don’t have to say good-bye.  You were so brave, I need you to be brave again, stay with me love” I didn’t think what I had done was brave, I had wanted her to kill me quickly, I didn’t want to feel the pain. 

He shook me again as I started to slip away again.  I could feel the tears trickle down my cheek from the pain; the pain of my injuries, and the pain of losing Tristan forever. 

A new feeling pushed its way through the pain, and shook through my body violently, bringing with it, fresh ripples of stabbing, burning pain. 

“I’m so cold” I could no longer feel my fingers and toes; they were numb from the loss of blood. 

I couldn’t think straight, my mind wanted to shut down, to shy away from the unpleasantness.  I tried to focus on his face, I wanted my last memory to be of his eyes; so full of pain and fear at the moment, that I wanted to tell him it would be okay, that I loved him. 

I wanted to put my hands on either side of his face and reassure him that I would pull through, but I could feel the end, like it was the giant razor on the guillotine and my head was on the chopping block. 

He seemed to be deciding something, and then his voice was full of anguish when he spoke.  “Summer this will hurt, but it’s the only way I can save you” I knew at once what he was intending to do, I couldn’t find my voice, so I nodded instead. 

He lowered his head towards me.  “I’m so sorry Summer” He whispered.  Why was he sorry, none of this was his fault?  This wasn’t exactly the way I had pictured my transformation, but at least I wouldn’t have to say good-bye now, I could stay with him forever. 

I nodded again to show him this is what I wanted.  He seemed to hesitate.  Was he afraid to turn me?  Was he afraid to cause me pain?  At this point, I don’t think I could be in any more pain than I already was.  

I was wrong.  He bit down in the same spot Lavinia had bitten.  White hot pain began to spread from my neck, down my spine, and into my arms.  I tried not to scream, but was unsuccessful; my body twitched and writhed out of my control.