Chapter Two

Monarch's Cove upon the Sea of Diamonds was the annual spot for old, royal friends to meet for a peaceful, playful holiday. The cove was shielded from public ogling and made it the perfect place for two royal families to relax from the daily rush of politics. Privacy, at last. How happy they could all be on the sand, playing in the water, chatting in the sunshine. The brightly-colored tents let any passing travelers know the kings and queens of four of Fairy Tale's most ideal kingdoms were back to enjoy some summer fun.

Inside the cool, quiet of a green tent, Queen Eudora and King Darrik drank their afternoon tea with their children. Daniel and Bridgette sat together on a white, weaved wicker bench. They were grown now and certainly worthy of their separate seats, but their mother and father were too used to putting the pair together. Not that the prince and princess minded, they loved one another's company and were quite familiar with bumping elbows and ankles.

King Darrik and Queen Eudora were having a difficult time exhibiting ease as they drank their tea. They had nervous, excited jitters as they looked at their strapping son across the table. Daniel was calm and collected while they kept almost spilling and smacking their fine china to pieces. Sweet Bridgette felt she was either going to burst into laughter or tears from the anxious atmosphere. Her brother tried to ignore the tension, but finally he thought it was time to put everyone out of their agony.

Prince Daniel gently set his teacup and saucer down and sighed, "You all needn't worry so much. I'm sure that everything is going to stay normal, no matter how Sarah answers my proposal."

There was a pause...and then the rest of the royal family started spilling out their advice at the very same time.

"Don't you let Sarah bully you, old sport," King Darrik urged. "She knows you are the catch of Fairy Tale, just like your old man in his courting days. She'll try to act like she doesn't care, sure, but when the chance comes to take you off the marriage market, oh don't worry son, she'll take the bait. Sarah'll bite, or I'm a monkey's uncle..."

"Sweetheart, you have to remember that lots of men get refused their first time out," Queen Eudora advised. "It doesn't mean they don't end up with their bride. Girls are just fickle and cruel with their suitors. So, if by some weak mistake, Sarah should refuse your offer, I don't want you to lose heart. She will say yes soon, I want you to trust that..."

His lovely sister merely laid a hand on his arm and said, "Daniel, you are so modest. How could any girl reject you?"

Slowly their explosions of encouragement died down and the prince could think. The king and queen waited on their cushioned seats for his next words. Prince Daniel knew they had their hearts set on gaining Queen Adeline and King Gillroy's firstborn as a daughter-in-law. It wasn't as if Daniel wanted to deny them that either. His whole life was mixed up with hopes of having Princess Sarah as his wife. He loved her, and yet, Daniel knew she was not sitting in a carriage and fantasizing about her future with him. He knew she liked him; they had always been friends. But loved him, enough to marry him? Now that was another matter entirely.

"Mother, father, Bridge," Daniel said, "You are all very kind and I love you so much for wishing me well."

"Of course, darling," Eudora smiled. "We simply want you to possess the love of the girl you have always adored."

"As you deserve," his sister added. Daniel relaxed back into his chair and observed his beautiful family with a contented eye. How could Princess Sarah not feel enthralled to be part of this gorgeous group? She just had to accept his offer!

"I don't want anyone to be disappointed or bitter," Daniel was saying, "In case...well..."

"Sarah acts like her normal self," the ever-boyish king finished his son's sentence. King Darrik pursed his lips. "I could never understand why Gillroy let her get that disobedient."