Chapter Twenty

Prince Daniel and Princess Sarah arrived in Monarch's Cove to all the exclamations and tears of joy they expected. The prodigal princess even permitted long hugs from every member of her family. Like some angel they did not know, the young woman did not even complain when her mother's embrace made her turn purple. Sarah did her best to be understanding, though it was a challenge. She knew her parents and baby brother suffered much in her absence, while she gave them merely a glancing thought and those of mostly negative anticipation. The least she could do was let them hold her hands for hours on end.

For days, the royal families were too high on relief and endorphins to notice the change in Princess Sarah. Prince Robert was the first to sense the difference. He saw the sighs and blank stares when no one else did. She was near and yet distant, lost whilst being found. She left as his boisterous, busy sister; now, there was something off. Of course, he couldn't tell his parents; they were at last enjoying peace of mind after a week and a half of fear. So, the young prince of Delight kept his worries to himself, unable to divest his troubles to Princess Bridgette at this awkward hiccup in their relationship.

Prince Daniel noticed the change too, but convinced himself Sarah's absorption within her own world was his doing. He so grossly offended her in those first few moments on Straight and True, he assumed she was still upset with him. She apologized for her tirade before they landed in the cove and Daniel very eagerly accepted that apology. Still, he had his doubts. When he drew near to talk with her, Daniel saw Princess Sarah genuinely making an effort to be gentle and courteous. However, it was that "making an effort" which wounded him, for Sarah did not naturally enjoy his advances. "Making an effort" was not exactly the best foundation for a marriage.

That did not stop Prince Daniel from finally putting the proposal before his princess. The urgings of his heart (and the four, royal parents) made it impossible for him to remain silent. One dusk, Ever After's future king mustered up the courage to do the deed. He placed the ring box in his shaky hands and walked up to Sarah where she stood alone at the water's edge.

"Sarah," Daniel kind of coughed to clear his throat and the butterflies in his stomach. He fidgeted down to one knee before Once-upon-a Time's princess turned around to acknowledge him. A frantic "oh" formed over her lips, but she was gracious enough not to voice it. Quickly, she regained her composure.

"Yes, Daniel?"

"Sarah, we have known one another all our lives, and I think you've always been aware of my devotion to you. I love you, Sarah. I always have and I always will. Won't you please promise to never leave me again? I don't think I could endure it another time. Would you make me very happy and consent," Prince Daniel opened the ring box to reveal a dazzling diamond, "to be my wife and queen?"

Sarah inhaled and tried to smile, though it came out very awkward and forced. This moment was inevitable, yet her answer did not come swiftly. She felt confused for so many reasons. Not the least of which was the sadness she suffered when she looked at that ring. Was it wrong to long for not a diamond, but a milky, silky pearl and that from another man entirely? A man she prayed was still among the living. Of course, it was wrong. She knew it was. Still, she couldn't help but judge Daniel harshly for not being that other person offering that other stone.

But not too harshly. As it turned out, she wasn't totally averse to saying "Yes." On the Island, she made an ultimatum to be better, in every regard. Wouldn't marrying Prince Daniel be the perfect way to improve her personality? Here was the ideal spouse to help her rule, help her care for others more than herself. He could be the mate that made the difference in her improvement. Was that a good reason to accept his hand in marriage? It wasn't the best reason, nor was it the worst.