Chapter 1

Eragon sat overlooking the vast mountains as Saphira slept behind him, they now lived in the Eastern reaches on Mount Agnor that rested along the Edda River. The mountains were huge though not as colossal as the Beor Mountains where the dwarves hailed from. The once bare mountain now held a large city that was always being expanded. The main three buildings sat in the center were the academy, the eerie and The Hall of Colours. The academy was made from white stone reminiscent of the first Dragon Rider city of Doru Araeba. Inside its halls was a huge library that Eragon had almost filled with books and scrolls that he himself had written along with the ones taken from Galbatorix when they ransacked his castle. The elves and dwarfs had also given some books and scrolls for when students would arrive but to Eragon's dismay no dragons had hatched for a rider yet. The multitude of classrooms and bedrooms remained empty and waiting.

Besides the academy was the Hall of Colours where the Eldunarí and most of the dragon eggs resided. It had been built over a large lava pit keeping the building warm with Cuaroc sitting in the center on a throne made of stone, his sword sitting across his lap. Then there was the eerie where Saphira's nest resided along with the three eggs she had laid. The other twenty three eggs set for the riders also resided there. Eragon and Saphira decided to keep the eggs separated, not wanting to confuse a dragon set for the wild over one set for a rider. Three of those eggs were currently with the egg couriers being taken around Alagaesia in the hopes one would hatch.

His mind then turned to Arya, his dear friend and the woman he loved. While he knew no romantic relationship could occur between the two it didn't dim his feelings. He would find himself thinking of Arya at random times, from how beautiful she was to what her opinion of their new home would be. Arya had told him when he was ready that herself and Firnen would visit for a few days.

Saphira stirred behind him, a cloud of steam leaving her nostrils as she greeted the light of dawn, her scales casting blue beams of light across the ground. Behind him the others stirred and after breakfast they spent the day constructing a roof to go with the giant walls they had constructed for a new storage facility the last one now full, his mind filling with Arya as Saphira's turned to Firnen. He wasn't sure who had it worse, him having loved but never had Arya or Saphira who had loved and lost Firnen, the proof of their mateship currently sitting inside her nest.

As the sun began to set he heard his scrying mirror go off, he quickly ran to his bags and pulled out the silver mirror to be met by the beautiful face of Arya. She seemed to have grown more beautiful over the years even if she barely changed, it was the way she now dressed and carried herself, as a Queen. "Atra esterni ono thelduin." He greeted with a soft smile causing a similar one to break out on Arya's face. "Atra du evarínya ono varda." She replied and Eragon finished the greeting. "Un atra mor'ranr lifa unin hjarta onr." Arya's face then grew serious causing Eragon to frown.

"What's troubling you?" He asked and Arya sighed shaking her head. "Nothing wrong, just something unexpected." She told him. "OK then tell me." Arya nodded. "I have to first tell a story to explain what has happened. Almost twenty years ago a married couple was discovered on the edges of Du Weldenvarden, the wife was heavily pregnant at the time. The female was a human called Freya and she was said to be beautiful and kind but the husband was called Cieron a young but powerful elf." Arya revealed and Eragon's eyes widened. "My mother in an act of either wisdom or mercy spared the couple who went on to have a daughter called Valeria. Though ugly by my peoples standards by yours she is bewitching. Her hair is the colour of starlight and she has the most intriguing violet eyes. Unfortunately both her parents are dead, her father fell at Ur'baen while her mother died of a broken heart leaving her alone in the world rejected by both races.