Part 4: Never A Morning Person

-.-.-

It was midday. Jared was off at work. He works at a little coffee shop around the block from our apartment. The past few days Jared and Theo had taken me sightseeing around the city, but now life was starting to dim down.

I had just woken up after another nightmare-filled sleep. Theo would usually wake up to make sure I was okay, but I made sure to not let my guard down. I would not let that boy get in my head.

As I padded through the kitchen, I grabbed a light yellow cup from the cabinet and filled the cup up with coffee. I poured in some creamer and some sugar, stirring it until it was the perfect color.

I sat my mug on the counter and then promptly hopped onto the counter, my legs dangling over the edge. I looked out through the window, observing as birds fly by and squirrels jump from tree to tree. I sip on my coffee and hum a song I listened to yesterday. The silence was peaceful and soothing.

And then came a knock on the front door.

I groaned and hopped off the counter leaving my coffee in the kitchen. I walked to the door and cracked it open slightly.

The tall, lanky boy on the other side was familiar and yet a stranger.

"Mason?" I asked in disbelief.

Mason tilted his head to the side. "Angel?"

I opened the door wider to let him inside while still eyeing him oddly. His brown hair had become a lighter almost blonde hair, but it still curled in messy coils on his head. He had filled out since I saw him last, and he had gotten taller. He almost towered a foot over me. However, the mischievous look in his eyes was one I could never forget.

I could tell Mason was doing the same inspection I was on him. His eyes roamed over me, taking in what had changed over the past few years. I started to become self-conscious of my tight tank top and flannel pajama bottoms. Mason only smiled at me.

Mason was Jared's best friend since childhood. Therefore, he was around a lot, and we also became close. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I had a crush on him when I was younger.

Mason let out a breath and relaxed his face into a smile. "Hey, darling," he sighed and opened his arms out.

I smiled with a giddy feeling in my stomach. I opened the door completely and jumped into his hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and he lifted me by my waist. I giggled into his shoulder.

"Hey, Mase," I said using his nickname.

He sits me down and shakes his head at me, his eyes shining with happiness.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

I tilt my head at him. I couldn't help the big smile that came on my face from seeing him. It had so long, yet we talked as if we never stopped seeing each other.

"I would ask you the same thing. I'm staying with Jared during my summer break."

"Is Jared here?"

I shake my head. "He's at work. Does he not know you're here?"

It wouldn't be the first time Mason had surprised Jared. Mason has a knack for inserting himself into our lives, not that we minded. He was always welcome here.

"I have a surprise for him, besides, you know, my amazing presence." Mason gestures to himself, and I laugh.

"What's the surprise?"

"It wouldn't be much of a surprise, if I told you before him, would it? Now can I come inside?"

I blush as I realize hadn't even let him in the house. "Yeah, of course."