28. The Turning Rope (Aisling & Simon)

This is a special chapter, but I would recommend reading it regardless even if it isn't necessarily advancing the plot. It does show Bláithín and Elise's upbringing, Aisling's earlier interactions with Sven and the downfall of her and Simon's relationship. Typical star-crossed lover trop. It is formatted in a way similar to a diary entry.

Note for clarity: Not all of these are memories from the diary. They will be formatted with a month and a year if they are. Diary entries that appear in her vision/memories have the words 'Diary Entry' above it. Memories with just a year are just other memories that get elaborated on later in the story but needed to be included in for the sake of the plot.

TW (this is a dark chapter): depression, infant loss, emotional abuse, gore at the end

.

.

.

.

She was beautiful; stunning.

Aisling Hahn had captured the hearts of many suitors at just nineteen years old. Golden hair that cascaded down her back and shining cerulean eyes that left any man obsessed. Her voice carried with her melodies that would leave people dizzy and wanting more. Kindness and charisma that would persuade anyone to follow her yet also a sense of courage that was required as future heir of the Hahn household.

These were the traits of a future ruler of her land and there was once no better person fit for the role than Aisling Hahn.

Until her mental downfall and untimely demise that is.

.

.

.

.

Diary entry #1. July, 822:

Another strange dream by the river...

The blonde had woken up from her slumber disoriented and it took her a few seconds to get her bearings. Beads of sweat dotted her brows and temples. She patted the bed and pushed herself up. When she felt her nose begin to tickle, she brought a hand up to rub it.

"Ah..." she aired, bringing her hand up into the light that shone through the window.

The door to her grandiose bedroom was pushed open. It was the maid, June, coming in with her trolley carrying her breakfast and the morning paper. It was a plate of fruit and pastries with a pot of coffee; the newspaper rested on top of it having been ironed. This was standard procedure - an elegant breakfast fit for an elegant lady - for someone who was next in line to inherit the estate.

"I do hope you're feeling better, ma'am. You had taken ill last ni-- oh, my Lady!" the maid gasped. She abandoned the trolley and hurried over to the blonde. Handkerchief immediately equipped; she began to dab to the girl's nose. "Your nose is bleeding again!" the maid cried. Aisling looked down at her fingers which were now splotched in blood, the red getting in under her nails. The maid looked into her eyes and her lips parted. "And your eyes, they're glowing... My Lady, what can I-?"

"Please, inform my father and send him in." Aisling ordered, curtly. The maid dashed out, hastily, almost tripping up on her way out.

The current lord of the manor waltzed in quickly once he heard the news. Her father stood by her bedside and looked into the golden eyes; they only glowed after these strange dreams.

"Has Niamh spoken to you again?" he asked her. Aisling nodded slowly, reaching for the covers. "It's a shame she affects you physically so. Clearly, she had something important to say..."