Chapter 9:Deangelo Manor

The City of Hawk Island, The Mainland

Deangelo Manor

Saturday, 4:10 PM

The Red Team was flying through the lush forest of the Mainland. The winding roads connected mansions, country clubs, and golf courses. The setting sun was broken up by the treeline, and orange light flashed across their faces. The song "S.W.A.K." by Luxury Elite played on the radio.

The rain had briefly shown up, only to disappear as quickly as it came. The sunlight reflected on the wet ground.

They turned a tight corner and drove up a steep hill. Then they saw it. The biggest mansion in The City of Hawk Island. A tall metal fence surrounded it, and the main gate had a large "D" on the front.

They pulled up to the gate and pushed a button.

"Yes?" The posh voice on the intercom answered.

"Hi. We're here to see Mr.Deangelo," Nate said.

The gate instantly opened, and they drove through. They marveled at the vast garden, the hedge maze, the large fountain with a statue of Plutus. The three-story mansion was made of shiny white marble. Romanesque pillars were everywhere.

The car drove down the long gravel driveway before stopping right in front of the mansion.

Nate turned to Vaughn, "Leave the rifle in the car, conceal the Tec-9, and definitely don't bring the C-4."

Jed shoved the Tec-9 down his underwear and got out of the car.

They carried the boxes up the steps, and the large door opened. A man appeared in the doorway; it was a butler with his hand behind his back.

He spoke in a posh British accent, "Hello, you must be Nathan... Mr. Deangelo is upstairs in his party room. Please, allow us to carry your boxes."

Two servants appeared out of nowhere, with expressionless faces and robotic movement, they took the boxes out of their hands and marched upstairs.

The team stood there, admiring the interior design. A grand staircase looped around an indoor fountain. A piano could be heard throughout the mansion.

Everything was shiny. Like a layer of wax was coated onto every single piece of furniture. The floors were so clean, that the sparkling nearly gave Eugene a seizure.

"So this is what corp money gets you?" Jed said, awestruck.

The butler was caught off guard by Jed's accent, "Are you from London?"

"How'd you know?"

"I'm from London myself. I'd recognize that accent anywhere. I of course lost the accent after going to butler school, where I was taught how to sound posh and elegant."

"Yeah, cool story bro," Vaughn said, interrupting him. "Can we see Mr.Deangelo now?"

The butler sighed and moved towards the stairs, "Right this way."

They walked up the grand staircase and into the party room. It was a small and cozy room with a grand piano, pool table, and couch. A small fireplace was crackling in the corner.

Mr.Deangelo sat in his luxury cushion chair with a wooden cane to his side. He was a frail old man with glasses and white hair. As the Red Team entered the room, he was talking on the phone.

"Listen, Andrew...You're a good kid, but you have to learn how to treat people....I understand Andrew....I know... This guy has been bad-mouthing you, but that doesn't mean you can firebomb his place of business."