Ch 24: Problems That Simmer Under The Skin

Winter arrived faster than expected. The letters back and forth between Morrigan and the students at Hogwarts became increasingly more frequent. Hermione was the most detailed in her letters, discussing not only her own personal matters but also those of Harry and Ron. However, the one thing that stood out in Hermione's letter was Harry's crush on Cho Chang. The girl Cedric had been dating when he had died. It was a difficult subject for Morrigan to wrap her head around. Both Harry and Ron were in a polite way, emotionally stunted. They rarely tried to perceive things from another persons point of view, so when discussing such matters with Hermione, Morrigan suggested stepping back and letting things run their course. 

Harry enquired as to how to talk his way around the subject of Dumbledore's Army when being questioned by professors as to his whereabouts. This was a task Morrigan was quite happy to take up, constantly writing sarcastic phrases to her friend to help him distract and avoid the subject when it was approached. This talent of hers had come in handy for the group of students who truly appreciated this. 

Morrigan stood behind the bar at the pub. Her head in her hands as she sighed. The place was rather empty, muggles could feel that there was something brewing in the air. While they never saw the magic that was in front of them, they weren't completely imperceptive. However, this meant that business was slower, and therefore time also moved by at a dismal pace. 

After a successful start to the pub the financial situation was beginning to weigh a bit more heavily on Owen, who was only just making a profit. The two were constantly discussing ways to increase profit, however none of it would be good enough if they couldn't get the footfall in the first place. 

Owen saw the young girl and gave her a sympathetic smile. Ever since the day her wizarding friends came in she had been busier than ever. He had hoped she would take a break every now and then, but instead she seemed to be drowning in her work. She was stubborn though, refusing to take a day off from the pub, not accepting her full wages, and not accepting the fact she needed to sleep. 

"Morrigan can you at least eat something?" He asked. 

She nodded unwilling to fight with him, "Yeah, I'll grab a sandwich soon." 

"How are things at home?" 

"They're alright," she said softly, "Snuffles is getting even more stir crazy. We used to run on such a high but now... well things haven't been looking up for him lately." 

"I'm sorry," Owen frowned.

She shrugged, "It's not your fault or your problem. You have your own troubles to worry about." 

He shot her a disapproving look, "Morrigan, you take time out of your day to help me with the finances and promotion of the pub, then take on the troubles of your friends, then the troubles of your boyfriend, and on top of it all you're taking on crying strangers. I think I should be worried about your troubles." 

Morrigan nodded understanding his point, "I get that. It's just been a bit rough at home. I think once everyone returns for the Christmas break things will get better." 

"I hope so for your sake," Owen said taking apart the tap for the keg to clean it. "If you need anything I am here for you." 

"Thanks Owen," Morrigan said her voice gentle, "I just hope that this all ends soon." 

"Me too, unfortunately I don't think things have truly started yet," he said ominously. It was true, while Morrigan hadn't been around for the first wizarding war, Owen had. He had seen his sisters nervous glances in dark alleys and out windows, noticed how everyone including muggles seemed much more on edge and tense. It was unnerving to see the same signs once more.