Chapter XLI

Dazai's pov

"And queue the ending credits."

Chuuya rolled his eyes at me.

"And.... we're done," I stood up and stretched my muscles as if I had been sitting like that for hours, which definitely felt like it since the movie took way longer than I thought it would. I glanced at Chuuya, who had his face buried into a pillow he was hugging. But... something didn't seem right.

"...Chuuya? Wait- are you- are you crying?!" I asked bewildered. Okay, the movie could be categorized as emotional to some people, but I highly doubt to the extent that someone would actually cry for it.

I extended my arm to pull Chuuya up, when he abruptly looked up from the pillow and smacked my hand away.

"Ah-" I was about to comment on his unnecessary gesture, only to notice the tips of ears were a bright red. And not just his ears; his whole face was a burning scarlet and he looked completely flushed.

"Mmm nm hmmm mmm," he mumbled something. His mouth and chin were still buried into the pillow and he locked his eyes away from mine, the poor dude probably didn't even know he was blushing this much.

"Eh? Sorry Chibi, I didn't get tha-"

"That was pretty romantic..." He said the last bit quite softly, but I still heard it. And the way he said it clearly made me feel something, for who knows what reasons, and so I had to turn around and adjust my expression before replying.

"...That?"

He nodded.

"I mean the whole airport scene. Like, it really is one of the most romantic things someone could do."

"Mm... Is it though?"

"It is! And the person who came up with such an idea must've been a genius. Think about it, how did he come up with that concept? Did someone really just go to an airport, and instead of boarding their flight, explore the place to find a way to set the mood and romanticize the atmosphere, like... it's a frickin airport for heaven's sake! I mean, who in their right mind would consider one of the loudest and busiest places as a set up for a confession? Noone! Hah! Only a true love expert would notice the softest traces of affection in such a pla-a-ace..." he trailed off as I burst into a fit of laughter, which I totally didn't mean to offend him by.

"Pfft- Love expert?! Wha- Chuuya, do you even hear yourself? Bahahaha-" I hugged my stomach as I laughed whole heartedly. This guy took fairytales and 'happily ever after's way too seriously.

Chuuya's face had returned back to its normal colour, but after realising what he had just said, the cherry sweet redness came back. He buried his face into the pillow and shook his head mumbling more things. I could half guess that he was probably cursing me.

After a good let-out, I was finally able to catch my breath.

So Chuuya's into these kinda things?

"Romantic, huh?" I asked, hoping to further my discovery.

"...yea," he lifted his face from the pillow and clapped his hands onto his cheeks twice before continuing. "To have someone run across an airport for you. Now wouldn't that be something?"

"Hah... Look, Chibi. I may not be the most romantic guy to exist, but even I can say that that was only slightly above average."

"Oh really?"

"Yes, really."

"So, you're telling me you could do better?"

"Of course~" I whistled as I sat back down next to him. "I may not believe in Disney-endings but I can come up with some pretty neat ones myself."

"Alright then," Chuuya threw the pillow aside and stared at me.

"Hmm?"

"Give it a go," he simply insisted.

"Wh- Wha- Huh?"

"What's wrong? You said you could do better. I wanna see what the great Osamu Dazai has in store for his future lover," he closed his eyes as he smiled. The redness of his skin had eventually subsided, and only a hint of pink settled across his face, making me wonder if his cheeks had always been like that.

"Well then," Chuuya crossed his arms over his chest. "Let's see what kind of romantic surprise you can come up with."

"..."

Badump Badump

My heart started beating at an unnatural rhythm in this situation.

"...it wouldn't be much of a surprise if I tell you now..."

"Hmm? What was that?" Chuuya asked, leaning in, when I realised I had actually said that out loud and not just thought it. However, thank God for Chuuya's bad hearing, I wasn't put into that awkward situation.

"Haha," I laughed. "Nah, it's nothing. You wanted to see what I can come up with? Alright, picture this-"

"So," I started. "The two of us, alone by the lakeside-"

"Cliché," Chuuya commented.

"...a lakeside" I rolled my eyes and continued, "candles floating on the water, golden fairy lights hung up on the trees. There would be no other props, no music, no one to play the violin, coz who needs all that? We're in love... and the only thing that would matter to us would be the sound of our beating hearts. We'd be so in love, that even doing nothing and just being by each other's sides would be entertaining enough. The sound of our breathing, the feeling of each other's skin, the bright glow we see on each other, which noone else does... Away from society... away in our own little world..."

I looked up at Chuuya, who was staring intently at me, and a smile unintentionally made its way onto my face.

"Just the two of us... is all we'll ever need."

"..."

I didn't know if he was doing this to get back at me for laughing at him earlier, or I truly was not as romantic as I thought I was, but he bluntly rejected my idea.

"That's pretty nice, I'm not gonna lie-" he said.

"But?" I asked, knowing exactly what he was going to say.

"-But~ The airport takes the cake," he smiled widely.

"So nothing can pass that, huh?"

"Nope," Chuuya smiled.

"Ughh, seriously... If the guy who came up with the airport scene had been even a few years late, I'm a one hundred percent sure you would've been the one to come up with it then," I shook my head.

"Eh!? Are you calling me a genius?"

"Yea... whatever you wanna call it," I winked, and he obviously took it as his victory.

"Yo cool!" he made a peace sign with his fingers and stood up, dragging my attention along with him.

How did we even get to this topic? Why did we get to this topic? Has Chuuya always been the kind of person to fantasize on the daily, and dream up scenarios of romantic things that could happen to him in the future? I never saw him as that sort of guy, and recalling how he used to be when I first met him, he definitely didn't seem like that sort of guy. But, if I'm being honest...

Badump

It was pretty cute.

"Romance," I muttered as I stood up as well. "Y'know Chibi?"

"Hmm?"

"...You're pretty cringe."

"EH-"

________________________________________________________

Hahhhh~ another chapter... and I'm not even gonna comment on the time I took T^T but college really do be loving to load us with assignments huh?!?! 
༼ಢ_ಢ༽

Anyways hope you guys enjoyed and cheers to yet another stressful week woohoo~

o.O