6-Unexpected Visitors

Torn Lace

Unexpected Visitors

The state of which everything happened the next morning at breakfast was a mix of loud noises and jumbled thoughts colliding in my head. Maids and guards were walking around in a hurried fashion, and Kayla had made sure I woke up earlier than my normal over sleeping schedule. 

The castle at that moment could only be described as slightly controlled ciaos, and when I say slightly, I definitely mean slightly. As I rubbed at my groggy eyes and took a seat at the dining table, the thought of a danish in my mouth taking the hunger I woke up with over the edge, I asked, "What's going on, dad?"

He turned to me, a smile on his face, one that matched that of my sister; Maddie, who sat on the other side of the table. "It's a surprise. But trust me, it's a good one." He told me, going back to his own meal.

I ignored the way he said it, chewing on my food in the silence of the room between my family, not even the tiniest conversation coming up. So, I did what any girl would do, I day dreamed to make things less awkward on my end. My thoughts became filled with how the other side of the gate was. I was still curious, whether that was dangerous or not.

The food before me also gave me an idea. There was always so much left over. If they were starving over there, maybe I could sneek some to them. Sure, Kate might warn me again, but i'll only do it once and i'll know that at least I helped in some way. Besides, ever since Patrick yelled at me, the guilt has been setting in.

I may not have done that to them, but my dad did. And that's not right.

Eventually, my father left the table, shooting a look at Maddie and my other sister; Waverly.

"So, um, i'm going to head upstairs," I started, scooting my chair back as Maddie a gesture with her hand for me to sit back down. I did. "Uh, or not."

Waverly smiled, the kind that exposed no teeth in the process and practically made your lips stay in an ever so slightly curved line. "We want to talk to you." She said.

I put my hands up and released a breath. "I'm sorry," My voice was a bit rushed. "Did I do something wrong?"

Maddie piped up, "No." She too grinned. "Of course not. Can't sisters talk?"

"I get that your trying to sound approachable or whatever, but we haven't 'talked' since Kent left. So, be truthful, what's going on?" I almost hissed, my brother's name lingering in the air.

"You're sixteen, Ellie. Don't you think that maybe finding that special someone might be a good idea?" Waverly said over Maddie. 

"Wait," I scooted back again. "That's why you wanted to talk? No offense, but I don't think either of you are the proper people to be discussing that topic with."

Maddie crossed her arms, careful not to lose her oh so important posture. "Excuse you, but I am happy married and Waverly is soon to be."

"Yes, and oh, Waverly, how has this three year engagement been for you. I know that Archer isn't around a lot. And hey! What about you, Maddie? For being happily married, where's my brother in law been for the past mouth?"

"He has an important job, Ellie. He's a king, he still has to take care of his kingdom and he understands that I still have to help take care of you." Maddie argued. "It's not your place to judge."

I smiled now. "Fine, I won't." I leaned across the table, looking at both of them. Hearing faint voices in the hall, I turned my head at an angle for a moment but then went back to what I was doing. "I won't judge either of you. But you need to stop judging me. If the right guy comes along, then fine. But the last thing I want is to get engaged to a prince or king who will be gone all the time anyway."

At that, I pushed myself fully away from the table. The click of my heels as I walked along the floor was soft yet practically deafening due to the lack of sound coming from my sisters. That is, until Maddie opened her mouth one last time. "Sure you don't want to rethink that?"

I pressed the bridge of my nose, the words on the other side of the door seeming to be gone. "This isn't a fairytale, Maddie." I replied. "Far from it actually. Just because the princess always ends up with the prince doesn't mean that I will. I'm not Cinderella, or Sleeping Beauty, or The Little Mermaid. I didn't didn't go to a party, meet a prince, and fall in love. I tripped and I fell, tearing my dress in the process. Instead of being awaken by true love's kiss, I wake up every morning with knots in my hair and constant nagging from Kayla.

"And last time I checked, I wasn't given three days to kiss a prince while not being able to talk and somehow it all worked out. No, instead, when I do talk, dad tells me for every little thing I did wrong. But i'm okay with that. You know why? I'm Ellie." I paused. "And as always, i'm going to apparantly not be a princess correctly. Compared to the amazing fairytale you both are living anyway. Have fun accepting that."

Then, on the verge of tears, realizing that for once I voiced my all out opinion of myself, and also realizing how much it actually hurt to get it out in the open, I opened the door and walked out. But in life, things don't go your way, especially not when you wish to make a dramatic exit. No, instead you find your father on the other side of the door and it's clear that both him and the person standing next to him heard every word you just said. And that your dad isn't exactly please with your words.

"Hello," The guy standing next to my dad said with a smile. I recognized him, but said nothing, choking back the tears threatening to flood my face. At the last second, I realized exactly who he was, and exactly why the palace had been so hectic. And he had heard every word I had just said, which only made his next words more difficult for my awkward self to take in. "I'm Xavier. And despite the fact that we met the night you tore your dress in an un-princess like way, i'd like to get to know you."

♛♚♛♚

Please comment and vote if you liked this chapter! Love ya'll :)