1-Proven Disappointment

Torn Lace

Proven Disappointment 

"I can't tolerate this behavior anymore, Ellie. It's time for you to grow up." My father told me, continuously running his hands through his perfectly groomed hair like he always did when he was frustrated. 

"Dad, I didn't mean to. I tripped, it wasn't my fault." I begged.

"That's where you're wrong, it is your fault. Why couldn't you just act like your sisters for one night?" He yelled as he turned to leave the room. He didn't bother saying goodbye, I wasn't even sure I would want him to at this point. He may be angry with me but I was with him as well. Right as he reached the door, he turned to face me. "This was supposed to change things, Ellie. After sixteen years, this was supposed to help you." He said, turning around again and straitening his suit. At that, he left.

You may be wondering what I did that has my father so mad with me. If you look at the big picture, it goes back to the day I was born. It was that day, exactly sixteen years ago, that I caused trouble for my family. There were complications during my birth and my mother died while I lived. The kingdom we live in was in ruins, fighting a war at the time. My father almost lost due to grief. I know what my father thinks of me, i'm not the precious gift that remained alive. I'm the horrible cause of my mother's destruction and the close call for the kingdom's as well. In my father's eyes, that was the first of many mistakes I would make in this family. He was right.

On the night of a princess's sixteen birthday, a tiny party is held. Princes and princesses are invited from different kingdoms to join in and meet the princess and her family. All my other siblings' sixteenth birthdays were beautiful -or I imagine my brother's would have been anyway. Instead the only ones i'm completely sure about party wise would be my sisters', each of them finding the man the would marry on those nights. I wasn't so lucky.

I did meet a prince -Xavier, if i'm remembering correctly, second in line to the throne where he lives- and we talked about random things our families did. I laughed when I knew my father would tell me it was acceptable.

It was going fine, that is, before I tripped. A server was going around the room with tiny pieces of cake, all decorated for the occasion. I had been hungry most of the night, having only taken in the amount of dinner my father would permit. I reasoned that he would be fine if I took one little cake. I walked toward the server, pulling up my blue lace dress as I did. As I reached him, I felt a foot under me, causing me to go forward. I began falling towards the tray of cakes, almost covering my dress in colorful frosting. But my dress had torn down the front instead and everyone, including my father, saw.

I was supposed to be the beautiful princess who found her knight in shining armor. Instead, I became the princess in torn lace.

Now, here I was, my bedroom. My father didn't care to listen to my side of the story, saying it would be ridiculous for anyone to want to trip the princess. But someone did, who, I didn't know.

I went to my window, watching as rain fell and looking out on the kingdom that expected a mature young lady to bloom from her birthday tonight. They were going to be disappointed. My eyes flicked from there to the other end of the kingdom, out towards darkness, trees keeping me from seeing anything but the normal things in that area. The same normal gate sat there, vines growing over it that were still visible through the rain. I've always been curious about the other side. I don't voice this of course, such thoughts could get you killed. And everyone must follow the rules, even the princess.