Chapter 32

Chapter 32

The heavy wooden doors swung open. Tenan strode purposely through them. But he froze in midstride, staring disbelievingly at Ara.

Her previous confidence dissipated. Did her brother still blame her for Bondell’s downfall and their mother’s death? She searched his face for smoldering remnants of anger.

Suddenly, he rushed toward her. She tensed, struggling to suppress her fighting instincts. But instead of hitting her, Tenan squeezed all the breath out of her before setting her down again. He pulled her back to arms length. “I’m sorry.”

“So am I.” Ara laughed nervously at his unusual display of affection. She embraced him again in relief.

“Have you seen Father?” he asked as he released her the second time.

“No.” She looked back at Coen.

He studied her with an unreadable expression. “Go find your father, Ara.”

She followed Tenan out a side door. They left the fortress and wound mostly unnoticed through the slightly curved streets of Ahdlyn. Stopping in front of a home that looked like all the others, Tenan threw open the door. “Father, I have a Gift for you.”

Squinting, Ara stepped into the dim interior of a room littered with beds. Father pushed himself up from one of them. “What do you mean a . . .” he stopped short, gaping at her.

She took an involuntary step forward. “Father.”

“Ara?” He sank to his knees, his head falling into his hands.

Rushing forward, she encircled him in her arms.

He grabbed her face with his rough hands, pushing her back. “Oh let me look at you, girl. You’ve changed so much.”

She tried not to wince. “How?”

He shrugged. “You look more like one of them Fairones.”

She knew he was right. Her hair had always been beautiful, but now it shone like a raven’s wing. Her teeth were straighter and whiter. Her skin was as smooth and blemish free as a child’s, even her scars had begun to fade.

He patted her face. “After your mother died, I thought I’d never see you again.”

“Didn’t Coen tell you he’d taken me somewhere safe?” she asked.

He rubbed at the moisture building up in his eyes. “Yes, but he wouldn’t tell us where.”

She cleared her throat. She’s never seen her father cry. “I’m sorry for the worry I caused you.” But it was done and there wasn’t time for regrets, not now. But why wasn’t he at Bondell? He’d shaved his beard. Did that mean . . . “Father, are you a solider?”

Kendrake nodded grimly.

Her hand flew to her mouth. “No! You’ve already served your country! You should be home, building the ranch.”

He shook his head. “There isn’t a ranch, Ara.” He cast an apologetic glance at Tenan. “Nor will there ever be again.”

She slumped. “Have we lost everything?”

Father grunted. “Not everything. We still have each other.”

Ara felt the weight of Tenan’s hands on her shoulders. “Rumors of the prophesied coming true has given the men new hope. Seeing you,” he cleared his throat, “you have already done more good than you know.”

            She steadied herself. It was time to ask the question she’d been hiding from for three years. “Father, tell me the truth about who I am. I have a right to know.”