~Chapter 3~

~Evangeline~

   She couldn't bring herself to care.

Evangeline didn't care if Fenrys saw her change out of her clothes and into a tunic and trousers. She didn't care if it was the middle of the day as she crawled into the massive bed or that Fenrys slipped underneath the sheets with her. She was emotionally and physically done.

Six of her men had died today. Each one will have families that will morn them. She was no stranger to death, but she always seemed to forget the throbbing ache of grief that filled her body in the aftermath. It was the same after the Battle of Orynth and many times in her life.

   It was a foolish hope that Evangeline would stay numb and empty, because just as Fenrys predicted the shock faded, and the remorse, dispare, and guilt flooded in. Six men died to protect her. She didn't deserve their sacrifices.

   Before she knew it, her shoulders started to shake, and the tears rushed down her face. They weren't quite tears either, she could tell from the way Fenrys stiffened on the other side of the bed. Evangeline waited for him to speak, but only his hand snaked through the bedsheets and laced their fingers together.

   She used his silent comfort and let the water stream down her face until it eventually clogged. Evangeline pressed her face to the pillow, withdrew her arm from his, and fell asleep.

But when Evangeline awoke their hands were yet again entwined.

~*~

   Evangeline took off the large coat Fenrys and she bought from a vendor. It was the dead of night, but the fireplaces still warmed the kitchen entrance of the Orynth castle enough for her to break a sweat.

They had planned to sneak in unnoticed, and without any interaction with anyone. But the plan fell apart as the sound of scrapping glass echoed through the air. She wasn't worried though. Even without fae smell and hearing she would recognize those light, grounded steps.

She and Fenrys turned the corner and found themselves face to face with Aelin. She held a plate of half eaten cake, and the chocolate was smeared around her mouth. She wore a long night gown and her hair stood up. It was obvious she came from her bed.

"You've looked better," Fenrys mused.

Aelin eyed their cheap clothes and untidy hair. "I could say the same about both of you. What happened? Did you get robbed?"

"Something like that. Get your handsome mate out of bed, and we will discuss it," he said.

~*~

Aelin paced the floor of the main parlor while the rest of them had taken seats around the room. Aedion and Lysandra had heard the ruckus and joined their three am meeting.

"As important this is, I still don't know why I was awoken," Aedion said and yawned.

Fenrys rolled his eyes, "We didn't ask you to be here. Actually it would be better if you left."

"It's also something we couldn't just push off until tomorrow morning, so sorry if it affected your beauty sleep, princess."

Lysandra laughed at Aelin's words and patted her husband's knee. "We don't want to deal with a whiny Aedion tomorrow. Go ahead and go back to sleep, let the adults do the talking."