~Chapter 7~

~Evangeline~

   Evangeline ran. She pushed aside the nobility and ran as fast as she could through the grand doors and into the awaiting hallway. She past the familiar doors, paintings, and corners. Evangeline didn't know where she planned to go, but it didn't matter because swift footsteps that only could belong to a fae warrior shadowed her.

   Fenrys caught her by the waist and the force sent them both tumbling to the ground. He twisted in mid fall and used his body as shield from the marble floor. Evangeline landed on his hard body, her eyes level with his. He glared at her and she glared right back, "Why couldn't you just call for me to stop? You didn't have to tackle me."

   "We both knew you wouldn't have stopped, Sunshine, don't lie to yourself. Just save your lying for me."

   Evangeline was off him in seconds and kicking his shoulder, "I have not lied to you once. Don't accuse me of something I never did."

Fenrys stood up and swept his hands down his tunic like there was dirt on it. "No, but you keep things from me."

   "Do you want an apology, Fenrys? Is that it? Is that why your here? Talking to me?" Her temper boild and she was sure he could see the redness on her face. Fenrys bit his lip and he took a step closer. Evangeline took a step back.

   "No," he whispered and strode forwards to her. He placed a hand on her scared cheek and against her will, she leaned into his touch. "I came to make sure you were okay."

   Evangeline put her hand over his, holding it there. "We need to talk," she said after a long moment.

   He nodded and opened the nearest door with his free hand. Unfortunately, the nearest door lead to a small closet. She tried to measure Fenrys body with her eyes, but he proved he could fit when he walked in. He pulled her towards the back wall of the closet and closed the door with him in front of it. Was Fenrys scared that she would run?

   His powerful build and the cleaning supplies took up most of the closet, so Evangeline found herself skirming in the corner. "The court is going to be looking for me," she told him.

   "Then you better be quick," Fenrys sniffed the air, "I give it less than ten minutes till they find us."

   Evangeline took a deep breath and gathered her thoughts, "It was six months ago..."

Past

   The flames ate at the grandiose estate manor and spread to every flammable surface, which was most of them. The fire's warm colors glowed against the night sky and illuminated the panicked confusion that was taking place at the courtesan house.

Evangeline watched from behind an overgrown tree well away from the fire with a huge grin on her face. She hated that grin. She hated how much pleasure took hold of her as she witnessed her first violent act.

Maybe she was becoming more like Aelin and Lysandra. After all Evangeline used their examples to make a scheme of her own.

She started a week ago, preparing all that she needed for her work to be complete. It was a long process to steal the money. Each night of the past seven days she would sneak into the vault where the courtesan currency was kept and take only part of the money. Evangeline wanted them to see their life's work slowly vanish before their eyes.