ONE

ONE
DESIREE SANDERS

"Do not have sex until marriage. You go against God if you do not listen to this. You must keep yourself pure. You will go to hell if you have sex before marriage."

I cringed in my seat and watched the teenagers scribble down notes. Pastor Carl was teaching about sex and purity but he could've taught in a more respectful manner. Blurting out that you'll go to hell and such? That wasn't how to get the message out.

I was all for purity. I believed that my body was my house and I needed to keep it to myself. I knew that I needed to wait to find a perfect church boy. Mum insisted that I did, she told me how much she regretted having a relationship with my father -- who was apparently a terrible criminal. But I also knew perfect church boys were impossible and a perfect church boy wasn't what I was looking for.

"We have cookies and apple juice in the lobby. Remember; stay pure." Were Pastor Carl's final words before dismissing us all. The chapel broke into loud talking and shuffling.

"I think what Pastor Carl taught was very wonderful, don't you think Desiree?" My friend, Paige hummed. I only shrugged.

She was quite different from me, she was more into the word of God than I was. Paige read the bible three times a day while I only read mine at night. She believed that any kind of sin couldn't be forgiven so she claimed that she would never sin.

Paige sighed and shot dirty looks at the teenagers around us, "The kids here should get it through their heads. Sex is a sin and sin is bad. They'll burn in hell if they don't rethink their lives through, not that rethinking will save them from the sins they have already done. Sins are never forgiven."

Paige always ranted about the same things every day, today was our first day of our week of sexual purity. Last three weeks were about Jesus's resurrection because Easter had come.

"People need to take Jesus's birth more seriously! He is our savior and they see him as nothing but a reason to have a tree full of presents. It's ridiculous!" Was what I recalled her saying last three weeks.

What really was ridiculous was her hatred for people and how she was able to twist around the words of the bible.

"Are you listening?" Paige demands.

I stifle a small laugh and shake my head, "Sorry. I was thinking about Pastor Carl's lesson again. Say it again?" Paige rolled her eyes at me angrily, "I said that I sometimes feel like the kids just come here for the cookies and juice."

I scoffed at her which she takes offense to, "What?" She demanded.

I take my notepad into my hands and begin walking towards the exit. I could feel Paige stalking behind me, "What?" She repeats.

I rub my face before she pulls me to her side. "Tell me!"

"Okay!" I sigh annoyed. "Why would kids want to just come here for old stale cookies and expired apple juice? Just because they commit sins doesn't mean they wouldn't like to still learn about God, Paige." I frown.

Paige raises her head and lets her nose be high up in pride, "God will never forgive them. That's why I decided to be free from sins when I was a baby. I will probably be the only one going to heaven in this youth group." She claims.

Boy, was she annoying.

I decided to ditch her and head for the disgusting snacks that everyone was surrounding. I didn't manage to get far from Paige since she popped up beside me again, "Have you heard about Ashton Irwin, Calum Hood, and Luke Hemmings?" She questions.