NINE

NINE
DESIREE SANDERS

We were only two blocks away from my house and I was already trembling. I legit could not stop sobbing! Calum was probably getting very annoyed, but I couldn't help myself. I was going to have to face up to the music. I was gonna have to stop hiding from the awful man and be strong about it.

The music playing on Calum's car stereo softly was calming down, but not even for me to stop sniffling and shaking in my seat. It was a girl's voice and she was singing about some so called Nirvana and Biggie, whoever they were. I finally managed to shut up once my mind starting drifting to Calum's style. It was edgy, it went along with his attitude and personality, but his sweetness wasn't shown off to others like he showed off to me. He listened to weird cool music, his clothes were dark, and the piercings below his bottom lip were crazy! Would my mother approve? Would God approve? But why did that matter! My mother and The Lord didn't need to approve Calum. We weren't together. We weren't together. That's when the waterworks started up again. I don't know why, but they did.

Calum groaned loudly, his frustration so sudden that it scared me. "Seriously, Desiree? Just quit your fucking crying!" He spit angrily before sighing. His voice lowered once he noticed he was being too harsh, "Okay. Listen to me. When I said I would protect you, I meant it Desiree." He said. "Trust me." Calum finished.

I decided to shut up after that, I barely breathed after his snap. Luckily, I didn't need to stay quiet for long. We pulled up to my house slowly. I was thankful that I had told him my address before we left. I knew that I wasn't going to be speaking after his outburst.

"I'm walking you in," He claimed and took my backpack for me. "I might even stay for a bit if that will make you feel better." His large hand rested on my shoulder after I thanked him for my bag and slugged it onto my body.

The short walk to my front porch was the saddest thing I ever had to do in the last few years. It sounded stupid, I know, but I learned to like Calum a lot.

Before my knuckle could even hit the wood, the door flew open instantly. My mother's narrow green eyes glared at Calum and I with disgust. "Desiree, your father and I been worried sick! Get inside now." She exclaimed, putting on an act for Calum.

I laughed and only nodded, "Sure you have. This is my friend, Calum. He's gonna be hanging out with me today, hope you don't mind."

Her eyes glue onto his tattooed arms, then onto his pierced lip. "Your father and I have plans that involve you, so yes, I do mind." She replies.

"Oh, that's too bad." Calum shrugged before nudging me. I smiled at my mother and led Calum inside carelessly.

A man stood in front of the staircase, a full beard on his face and dark brown hair on his head. I shuddered at the tattoos on his neck and scar beneath his eye.

"Desiree. Where have you been?" The man grabbed my arm and growled at Calum, "Who's this kid?" His brow furrowed.

"I'm Calum Hood. You must be that criminal who hits children right? I heard inmates hate people who abuse kids, is that how you got that nasty scar?" He responded calmly with a large smile.

I almost doubled over and laughed before the man pulled me closer towards him, making Calum's smile instantly drop and grab my hand. His grip was tight and angry.

"I suggest you let her go," Calum warned furiously. "Before I make you let her go, sir."

"Jonathan. Don't bother, let her go. She'll regret even spending a second with such a hooligan." My mother ordered. The man stepped back from the staircase, releasing his hold on me.

"I'd like to speak with her, Allie." He told her.
Mother laughed quietly, "Don't worry. Once she's done, we'll all be having a lovely talk."

I didn't talk back, I knew it would only cause problems to grow. My hand squeezed Calum's before I began to lead him up to my room. We were both silent, listening to my mother and father speak in hushed tones. I knew from the second I walked in that everything was going to be blown up.

"It's a bit messy. My mother attempted to decorate it a few years back and I never grew to like it, it's a bit embarrassing." My cheeks flushed as I explained to Calum what he was about to see. My shaky hand pulls on the doorknob and I almost cringe at the sight of the neon green with turquoise polka dots.

"It's cute," Calum almost immediately walks in and eyes the stupid looking glittery posters of Christian singers. His fingers tap one of the fancy crosses that my mom had hung over my bed. She claimed it was to keep me safe. "I really like it. Don't be ashamed." He giggled loudly. Giggled.

"Take a seat. I'd offer you the remote, but practically all of the channels are blocked." My lips twisted.

Calum frowned at my sour look, "Are you sad that your mom's a bit controlling? Don't be. I wish my mom would've been. Look at me now." He chuckled and rubbed my shoulder.

"I just wish I could have some freedom." I shrugged with a small smile and setting my backpack down. "Thank you for everything, Calum." I glance out my window before sitting down and waving him over to do the same.

"No problem, Des." He settled down beside me and touched my hand that was resting on my thigh, "You know you can just move out soon, right? Just a little while longer." His touch wasn't anything alarming, it was comforting and friendly.

My response was a small nod and I looked out the window awkwardly not knowing what to do next. He definetly made me nervous and it wasn't uncomfortable nervous like I was with Michael whenever he complimented me, he's a creepy. Calum isn't. That's what I liked, he had no interest in having sex with me, we were good friends; for now I hope. He said so himself that we would grow into better things. Best friends, but I think I wanted different.

"I'm sorry. I'm typically never so disrespectful with adults, your father's just a real douchebag." Calum apologized, "so don't blame me." I stifled a small laugh and shook my head.

His lips were moving as if he was speaking, but I couldn't hear him. My thoughts were blurring things out and were clouding up my mind annoyingly. I didn't like not being able to hear him, but things needed to be thought out. Why was I so desperate for Calum so soon? I barely know him!

"Desiree, you okay?" He touched my back in a concerned manner, "Maybe it's time that I go and you sleep. Does that sound alright?" His eyes were locked into my watery ones. "You look really tired." Calum smiled reassuringly.

"Yeah," I rubbed my dark eyes that were most likely red and stood up, "I'll walk you out."
We both walked out of my room and trudged down the stairs, my hand is Calum's. I quietly thanked him for staying with me as we arrived at my front door, "I really appreciate it."

Calum smiled and hugged me tight, but it didn't last for too long. "How about we see each other next Wednesday? Outside the church?" Before I could answer he opened the door and walked away, leaving me with a smile.

///

THIS STORY SUCKS SO MUCH AND IM TRYING TO DO BETTER. SCHOOL HAS KEPT ME SO BUSY BUT IM GONNA START UPDATING ASAP. <33333