Prologue

"Starclan, I call out to you and present this medicine cat apprentice! She has shown dedication to your ways and to her clan." The orange tom cringed at his own words, Do they know the truth? Beside him sat his apprentice, Sandpaw, who was staring at the sky in wonder. He shuffled nervously in the glimmering sand and parted into it with his paws. Moonlight shot into paws and into his mind, a strange power surged through him and his apprentice. He turned to see her pelt glowing with starlight, the bright light lighting up the cave. The orange tom cleared his throat, "Sandpaw, do you promise to uphold our loyal code, even if it costs your life?" The sandy she-cat nodded, "I do, Yarrowfur." Yarrowfur felt his claws slip into the sand, no you don't. Yarrowfur's green eyes shone with frustration, "Then by the power of Starclan I give you your medicine cat name. From now, you shall be known as Sandstep."

The medicine cats around them threw up their heads and yowled her new name into the sky, but Yarrowfur stayed still. Around the cave, starry figures appeared, prancing around the cats. Sandstep, eyes shining with pride, turned and licked her mentor's shoulder. Yarrowfur sat still, his eyes boring into the young medicine cat's pelt. I know where your loyalties lie. His mind flashed with the memory of the young she-cat, her pelt brushing the pelt of Risingriver, a young tom. Yarrowfur knew what she'd been doing since the start. Sandstep stared up at him, beaming. Yarrowfur stared back, his face solemn. 

    "Congratulations, Sandstep!" Mewed Dewseed, the young Mountainclan medicine cat. Yarrowfur let out a snort, "Sandstep we must go, we can't keep the clan waiting. Injuries can happen at any time." The young sandy she-cat stared at him in surprise for a minute before nodding briskly. Sandstep let out a purr and twined her tail with Dewseed before following her mentor. The two cats walked out of the cave, leaving the other medicine cats far behind them. "Why did we have to leave so early?" Sandstep bumped her former mentor's shoulder, "Come on, Yarrowfur! It's okay to celebrate for awhile!" Yarrowfur turned on her with a hiss, "There's more to life then celebrating, but you wouldn't know that!" Sandstep flinched at his sharp hiss. "I-I'm sorry."

    The two medicine cat's broke through the gorse entrance, the thorns scrapping their pelts. Yarrowfur watched through squinted eyes as a young red tom raced toward them. "Sandpaw! How'd it go?" Risingriver asked, his eyes gleaming. Sandstep let out a purr, "That's Sandstep to you, Risingpaw." Risingiver pounced onto her, his blue eyes shining with amusement. Yarrowfur let out a quiet growl, that stupid tom. He glared toward Risingriver, who was purring loudly. You don't know what you've gotten yourself into.

    "Ashstar, I'm sorry to bother you but I need to speak with you." Yarrowfur poked his head into the leader's den where the Amberclan leader was laying in her nest. The grey leader looked up at him, her turquoise and yellow eyes dull and misty. "What do you need?" Yarrowfur hated to disturb his sick mother, her bones were showing through her matted pelt. "I want Willowkit." The deputy, Bloodsky, looked at him in surprise. "Another medicine cat apprentice? Yarrowfur, Sandstep just became a full medicine cat." Ashstar lifted a paw to silence her deputy and stumbled to her paws. "That's fine, but I want you to explain yourself." Yarrowfur swallowed, "Sandstep won't last long, and you never know what could happen." Ashstar nodded, remembering Yarrowfur's vision that he had told her about. "Yes, Willowkit will be a good fit. She's almost 6 moons old and will be ready very soon."