Last Dance Of The Gun

A couple of weeks later, John found his wife in the barn again, milking one of the cows. That didn't surprise him, even though she clearly was afraid of the bigger cattle. The only thing that surprised him was the fact that Y/N woke up earlier than him. Usually, he woke up as early as the sun and went to work on the farm.

John walked up to Y/N and watched her milk the cow, "Hey, Y/N."

The woman quickly turned to see her husband, "Hey, you."

"Need a hand with that?" the man asked as he leaned on the wall.

"No, John. I've got it."

"Looks like you have. You've got better with the cows, now. Not like the first few times..."

"Oh, don't remind me," Y/N chuckled.

"Just gotta keep your hands away from their mouths and you'll be alright, darling."

"Haha. Very funny, John," the woman spoke in a very sarcastic manner.

"Thank you."

A brief pause surrounded the two but John inhaled deeply and spoke up again, "Soon, it'll be quail season, we should have some fun then."

Y/N finished milking the cow and stood up, dusting her pants off, "Is there anything you don't like shooting?"

"Well, I ain't met the thing yet, but as soon as I do I'll let you know. Why are you acting so innocent? If I remember correctly, you were this country's biggest threat at some point."

"Whatever you say, John Marston," Y/N humored. The woman mimicked John and leaned on the wall beside him.

"So, uh, you ever hear about them machines that can make a man fly?" John asked.

"Sure, yeah. I read they're gonna be bringing them machines 'round the country next year for a demonstration. One of them machines can turn men into angels..."

"...one of them machines can turn men into angels," John repeated.

"John, come here. Come here quick!" suddenly Uncle yelled out for John all the way from outside. The man rushed to see what was going on and Y/N followed behind. Once they made it out, Uncle appeared with a pair of binoculars in his hands.

"Take a look at that," Uncle directed and John grabbed the binoculars.

John looked into the binoculars and then back at Y/N, "Y/N. Go into the house. Lock all the doors."

"What? Why? No. What's going on? Hey, let me see!" the woman argued as she tried to grab the binoculars.

"Go inside!" John ordered.

"Who is it, John?!"

"Just some old friends. Me and Uncle will take care of it," John explained.

"No! I am staying! I'll go get my guns!" Y/N quarreled. John was about to stop her but she rushed to the house. As soon as she stepped inside, shots were fired. The whole situation made her nervous, and less excited. She ain't laid her hands on her old revolvers in years. Once she pulled the guns out of the closet, she rushed back outside.

Without hesitation, she rushed back to assist Uncle and John in a shootout. She successfully hid next to the two, "Are those goddamn soldiers?"

"I told you to get back in the house!" John shouted as he shot the armed men.

"Fuck you! You think I ain't got it in me no more?" Y/N argued as she shot a few soldiers in the distance.

"Get in there! There'll be more coming!" Uncle spoke up. John grabbed Y/N by the wrist and dragged her back to the house.