8 - detention

Y/N's POV

THAT Friday Harry and I make our way to Umbridge's office for our detention. A detention we got for simply stating the truth. But in her eyes, we're serving detention because we were lying. 

"You'll both be doing some lines for me this evening." Umbridge says when we enter the room.

We take a seat beside each other in front of her desk, like a front of solidarity against the old toad. I make a move to grab a quill and some ink from my bag, while Harry does the same, but she stops us. 

"No. Not with your own quill. You'll be using special ones of mine. Now I want you both write 'I must not tell lies.'"

"How many times?" Harry asks tensely. 

"Let's see...As long as it takes for the message to sink in." She giggles.

I give Harry a quizzical look before turning back to her. "You haven't given us any ink."

"Oh, you won't need any ink."

*****

BY the time Harry and I returned to the common room everyone had already gone to their dorms for the night, so we didn't have to field any questions about our detention. 

The next morning I'm sitting at breakfast when my hand starts to sting, the pain shooting through my palm worse than it was last night. I shake it out trying to quell the pain, but nothing works. 

"What's wrong with your hand?" Ron asks, noticing my discomfort when nobody else does. 

"Nothing." I say, placing it on my lap so he can't see it. 

Harry gives me a warning glance not to say anything, but I already know not to. We agreed last night that we wouldn't tell anyone what sort of disciplinary methods Umbridge uses. 

Ron snatches my hand out of my lap and holds it in his. "Y/N, is this what happened in detention yesterday?" Ron looks at me. 

I don't get a chance to answer before Hermione takes notice of what's going on and grabs Harry's hand, examining it as well. 

"You've got to tell Dumbledore!" Hermione exclaims, but not loud enough so Umbridge overhears from her place at the head table. 

"No!" Harry and I yell in unison before Harry caries on in a lower voice. "Dumbledore's got enough on his mind right now. Anyways, I don't want to give Umbridge the satisfaction."

Ron glance between Harry and I, worry creasing his brow. "The woman's torturing both of you! If the parents knew about this..."

"Yeah, well I haven't got any of those, have I Ron?"

"And mine are muggles. What would they do?" I say. It's the truth afterall. 

"Harry, you've got to report this. It's perfectly simple, you're being..." Hermione argues.

"No, it's not Hermione. Whatever this is, it's not simple. You don't understand."

Hermione sighs. "Then help us to."

Ron huffs. "I don't care if it's simple or not. If you don't tell Dumbledore, y/n. I will. Umbridge can't do this to you."

"No you won't Ron. Now drop it, please. I'll see you in Potions, I told Theo I would meet up with him before class."

*****

"PARDON me Professor, but what exactly are you insinuating?" I hear a shrill voice ring out in the entrance hall. It's a week after Ron noticed my hand and since then I've had an additional three detentions, writing the same line, I must not tell lies, over and over again, all because of one outburst. As far as I know, Ron hasn't told anyone about Umbridge's preferred form of punishment, which I'm thankful for. 

We're currently eating supper in the Great Hall and decide to check out what's going on. Based on the sound of the voice, it has something to do with Umbridge.

"I am merely requesting that when it comes to my students you conform to the prescribed disciplinary methods." McGonagall says just as we get out into the hall. 

I look at Ron when she says puts the emphasis on my students. He told her. 

"So silly of me, but it sounds as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom, Minerva." Umbridge accuses. 

"Not at all, Dolores, merely your medieval methods." retorts McGonagall. 

"I am sorry, dear, but to question my practices is to question the Ministry, and by extension, the Minister himself. I am a tolerant woman, but the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty."

"Disloyalty?"

"Thing at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared. Cornelius will want to take immediate action." Umbridge announces before stalking off. 

With Umbridge gone, I use the opportunity to whirl on Ron. "You said you wouldn't tell anyone." I accuse.

"I made no such promise. Besides it was for your own good. She was hurting you." Ron says fiercely. 

"What's going on?" Theo asks, appearing beside me. 

Ron glances between us. "I'm guessing you didn't tell him, then?" Ron raises an eyebrow at me, not even bothering to look at Theo. I don't say anything. 

Of course I didn't tell Theo. I had no intention of telling Ron either. But he managed to see I was in pain without me having to tell him. 

Now Ron turns to Theo, a furious look on his face. "You're a shit boyfriend to y/n, you know. Your girlfriend has been tortured by Umbridge during her detentions over the past week, and you didn't even notice anything was wrong. How did you not notice that she was in pain? Or that there were literal words engraved in her skin?" He fumes. "Sometimes I wonder if you're even worthy of calling her your girlfriend. Actually, I know she's not." He finishes before pushing past Theo and leaving.