White Military Leg Gaiters

Mako felt his jaw drop, hackles rose a second later. He didn't understand? Him? Mako? Was Bolin really doing this right now? Was he really... Really still, with all the facts sitting bare ass in front of him, still choosing that Dictator over his own family? After everything, everything, Mako had- the things he'd-

Mako inhaled and, instead of screaming like he felt like doing, ran a hand through his hair. Bolin had always been prone to loyalty to a fault. And he believed in this. Mako could see the doubt flickering behind the blind conviction. Maybe if he just prodded a little more. Just presented a little more fact. Because who could argue with-

"I don't know bro-" Mako hesitated, weighing his options. Trying to bide time.

"Okay," Bolin shrugged, "why don't you come with me, and you'll see for yourself?" Mako could see the idea gaining traction in Bolin's mind and Mako wondered how many naysayers Kuvira had recruited this way. "We've done a lot of good, and Varrick is working on some new innovations. We're making history." But the emphasis on the word was too forceful.

Was he saying that for me, or himself? Mako felt himself kick back on a hip, arms crossed in disbelief. "By 'crushing' anyone who gets in your way?" He pointed out, referencing the speech at Wu's ceremony.

Bolin flushed. "T-That was just some tough rhetoric to let the people know that we mean business." Mako felt his eyes narrowed. He could all but see Kuvira mouthing the words coming from Bolin. "I mean, Kuvira is basically just like Korra." This took Mako back because what the actual fuck, but Bolin took the look an stunned silence as an opportunity to explain. "She might seem hard to deal with, but just because she's so passionate and believes in what she's doing."

And Mako couldn't believe that jump in logic. It offended him. Korra had been rough around the edges, but she had never threatened to crush anyone who opposed her. She always tried her hardest to come to a peaceful agreement. He winced inwardly. After a while. At first she was gungho about pummeling anyone, any chance to show off. But that's all it had been. Bravado, brash behavior. She was kind at heart and willing to grow and learn.

Somehow Mako doubted Kuvira would be as pliable. "It seems like she's just a dictator who's taking the Earth Kingdom by force." It was an offhand comment, the first thing that came to mind.

And shit. He knew he fucked up the second the words slipped his mouth, the second he saw Bolin's face contort.

"Oh, okay." He snapped "you think your new best friend in there," He thumbed towards the suit door, "would be a better leader than Kuvira?"

And that stung. In more than one way. "Well, no." Mako was loath to admit. Reeling from the accusation in the subtleties of Bolin's words. "But still..." The bite gone from this fight.

Mako didn't want to play anymore. Suddenly he was exhausted and he could tell Bolin was just getting revved up.

"Still what?" Bolin carried on, full steam ahead, hurt and uncaring. "Come on, Mako! I'm making a difference out there, what are you doing, huh?" And that cut deep. "You're just some glorified butler for some snotty rich bozo!"

And fuck. That was the killing move right there. Mako didn't even bother to close the proverbial distance between the two as Bolin withdrew, further and further away. The chasm between them growing with every word; every second. This was not the reunion he had hoped for after three years. The person he'd always been closest to, his family. Over... Mako balled up his fists, wanting to cry.

Over this.

The sorrow shut down fast, transforming into rage. "I'm sorry, I don't want to work for your glorious emperor and her military dictatorship."