Grey Wool Pants

Mako followed Wu into the elevator, completely spent. Korra had never shown up. And when Tenzin and Tonraq returned without her...

Whether Korra was a runaway, kidnapped, or a missing person was... well. Still undecided, but the familiar pang in Mako's chest struck; aching and squeezing. Breath coming in too quick, the edges of his vision had blackened. He sighed, passing a hand over his face as he slumped against the elevator wall, pushing the feelings away. It was just too much for him to handle at the moment. He was exhausted.

Between losing his dream career and his- He was loath to admit it, even to himself, but he had been holding onto the slim chance that once he saw Korra get off that boat the connection they had would spark and whatever mess he felt around Wu would just vanish.

And that made him feel like shit knowing how Asami felt for her. But maybe it was just extreme friendship because... because...

He shot a side glance at the shockingly silent Prince.

Because you don't like the same gender. He reasoned. More and more the platitude felt weak. Like a dam about to fall to the waves battering against it, against the way his chest ached and his stomach felt hollow. You don't like men. Mako' resolved, fist clenched.

"I really thought I'd meet the Avatar today." Wu's voice was soft as the doors parted, as he stepped out into the brighter light of the hallway. "I..." Shoulders rose and fell with an exaggerated sigh. "I'm so disappointed."

That hit a button.

"You're disappointed." The words were still, a contrast to the tumultuous feelings cresting inside of the firebender.

Mako saw red, his body engulfed in a flash of anger that he tried to breathe through. Spirits only knew how he tried as the door opened. As he watched Wu trudged to the coat rack, hang up his stupid top hat. Run a hand through his awful hair.

And Mako laughed. It was funny, in a way. Wu being disappointed about Korra. He had no idea, no idea. The chuckle rising to a bark, to a guttural thing bellowing out of him, doubling him over. He could see from the edges of his vision Wu's unsure grin, hear the breaking chuckle, tinny and unsure.

"Wh-what's so funny, my-?"

And the laughter stopped abruptly. Like a switch flipped. The anger rolled in hot and brewing as Mako stood.

"You-!" Mako growled, cutting himself off as Wu bristled back up at him.

"I?" He questioned, tone mimicking the vitriol Mako spat.

"How could you?" Eyes narrowed, fingers shoving into Wu's slender chest.

The mirrored anger melted away into confusion, "H-How could I wh-?"

"Don't." Mako's voice dropped to a deadly hiss. "Don't you dare pretend you don't know what you've done."

"But I-"

"You didn't even ask." Mako shoved harder this time, making Wu stumble and fall. "You didn't ask me before taking everything away; my family, my life, my career!" He didn't mean to lose control like this, part of him embarrassed by the outpouring of emotion. Part of him unable to hold back any longer. "We... I thought we were at least close enough for that." He towered over Wu, resisting the urge to kick him while he was down.

"I-I-" Wu pulled himself back, using the dining table to pull himself up. "You don't understand!" His voice deep, pleading.

"What don't I understand?" Mako's voice took on a side, mocking tone as he leaned closer to Wu, still towering over him.