i'll still love you

twenty-nine

CAROLINE JOHNSON

It's been one month since Chase was released from the hospital.

Chase's recovery over this last month has been slow, but steady progress. His ankle has healed just as it's supposed to and he no longer needs a boot or his crutches, his ribs have healed completely, and as far as head injuries go, he's perfectly fine. I'm so thankful that he's been recovering so nicely.

Obviously, Chase couldn't race for the rest of the season so we've taken the unexpected time off to slow down and spend time at home in Dawsonville. No travel days to Charlotte, no weekends at the racetrack, no interviews - just time for me and him.

The NASCAR season ended three weeks ago and who won the championship? None other than Ryan Blaney. Chase's doctor in Dawsonville gave him the ok to travel to Phoenix for the championship race so we got to be there to see it all. I could tell that Chase missed being out there but I knew he was happy just to be there to watch one of his best friends win in the biggest moment of his career.

For Chase's birthday, he just wanted something small with his family and friends so I put together a small party for all of us to be able to celebrate Chase. Everyone came and we had the best time.

Our weekly Johnson family dinners have continued and it's been nice to have Chase's parents join us every week.

Thanksgiving was last week and we got our families together for the day and it was the most special time. We played a pick-up football game and ate all the food that our bodies could take.

That brings us to today, mine and Chase's six month anniversary.

I was sitting out on the screened in back porch of Chase's house with Chief, looking at pictures of Chase and I over these last few months.

"What are you doing out here?" I heard Chase ask behind me.

I turned around and smiled as I saw Chase walking onto the porch with two cups of coffee in his hand.

"I'm just looking at some pictures," I said, taking a cup from Chase. Chase sat down next to me on the couch and I laid my head on his shoulder as I continued to look through the pictures.

"I can't believe it's been six months," Chase said.

"Me either," I whispered. "You made me believe in love again and in a better tomorrow, and for that, I'll always be thankful for you."

"Loving you is the easiest thing I've ever done."

"You can't go making me cry this early in the morning," I laughed, wiping a stray tear away from my eye.

"Well, it's the truth," he kissed the top of my head. "I love you so much."

"I love you more than you will ever know," I looked up. Chase leaned down and sweetly placed his lips on mine.

Chase and I sat on the back porch for a little while longer drinking our coffee, planning out what we wanted to do for our day. Chase had insisted that he already had dinner covered so we planned for an afternoon out in Atlanta. Once we had finished, we went back inside and got ready for the day.

"Can we exchange gifts now?" I asked excitedly as I finished putting my earrings in.

"Why don't we do it tonight?" Chase asked, laughing.

"Because I'm excited to give you your gifts," I cheesed.

"Okay fine," Chase gave in. "Go out to the living room so I can get yours."