Chapter 4 (Part 3)

***

When I next came to, it was met with a headache that rivaled even the worst hangover. Every muscle and fiber screamed at me even before I was fully aware. Even swallowing spit sent alarms of pain screeching to my brain, which made the hangover even worse.

"We thought you might have died in those final moments," Felt's familiar voice reverbed faintly.

I couldn't even turn to look at him.

"You probably should have died, given the amount of essence you haphazardly tossed around."

"Yet, here I am," I spoke after a short, sharp breath.

Even my weakened senses picked up the faint chuckle that escaped his lips.

"Maybe you have some sort of God watching over you, then. Or, maybe you simply have too much willpower to allow death to overtake you," his words were gentle, yet pained as though even he were having trouble speaking.

Had I tried laughing then, I might have died from the pain.

"Where's Karnied?" I asked weakly.

"He is alive still, but barely."

A troubled sob forced its way out when he said that.

"Worry not. Liliana and Hargen captured him. We took him with us after leaving Blyyn. He is currently being held in the bottom of the ship. I was not certain if you wished to keep him alive, but at the very least, I was not going to take the final blow from you after what you have been through," there was a softness to his voice – a caring tone that I'd not heard from him before, either.

"How ... long?"

"We have been traveling the sea for a couple weeks now."

It was then I started to notice the gentle rocking of the ship among the low waves. A comforting motion, like having nature rocking you within her watery arms. I could hear the gentle splashing as water struck the side of the boat even over the sounds of the crewmates conversing and moving about.

"Can you move?" he asked after a moment.

"Without my body telling me it's my turn to die?"

"A simple 'no' would suffice," he laughed softly.

"It truly is inspiring that you can make such jokes even when in such a state. I have only met one other that was like you. He, too, was a human," he sounded ... pained.

I could only stare at the wooden ceiling above, so I wasn't sure if it was really the case.

"Would you mind telling me about him?"

I glanced to the right, despite not being able to see him. He shifted around a little and sighed.

"It's fine if you don't want to."

"No, no, 'Tis simply ... difficult ... to recall much of that time anymore. I think my mind blotted it all out over the years as a survival mechanism," he trailed off.

"I understand," pain made me wince when I tried to smile.

Felt took a swig of something before he spoke once more.

"He was one of my fellow companions. One of my friends. His name was Garin."

He took a breath, pausing.

"What was he like?"

"A rowdy, yet simple man. Acted much like a well-fed dog on the best of days. He was always the peacekeeper between us when a fight broke out, though. We were like family to him."