Chapter Three: Raspberry Tart

Kelsey came through the door with her heather grey gym bag. Ashton always thought the neutral shade suited his sweet girlfriend. That worked out well, considering she owned a lot of things in that color. Ashton was pretty sure her car was more of a pale grey than some dark, brooding shade.

She had been busy with spin classes all weekend, so her disheveled presence did not surprise Ashton. 

"Hey, Ash," She let her hair cascade down her shoulders. Long hair also suited Kelsey.

"Hey, Kels. Have a good class?" Ashton sat up, closing his laptop gently.

"You can say that. Some old lady fell off one of the bikes today, and I got a write-up for poor management," Kelsey pouted.

"Oh no! Kels, I'm sorry, babe," Ashton gently rubbed her shoulder. She looked over at him with a sigh.

"Did you meal prep dinner yesterday?" Kelsey asked, "I'm hungry."

Shit.

This wasn't the first time that Ashton had forgotten about meal prep. It wasn't that he didn't want to; he would never intentionally forget to package and set aside the world's blandest food—especially not when it could disappoint his pretty girlfriend so much.

"Uh, babe, don't be mad at m—"

"Ashton! Again?" Kelsey frowned, shaking her head in disappointment. Ashton felt his body heat with guilt.

"I mean, we could always just cook something on a whim? Or better yet—how about a date? You had a hard day, and I think it would be good for us," Ashton offered. His knee bounced with anxiety.

"A date?" Kelsey brightened, "Where?"

"How about a local bakery? I'm sure they have healthy options. This is California, after all," Ashton shrugged.

"A bakery?" Kelsey asked softly. Ashton could practically feel the distaste in her mouth. "But we don't eat—"

"Carbs. I know, it's not our healthiest choice, but I think one time won't be so bad!" Ashton had the urge to crawl away from Kelsey's prying eyes. She had that affect on people. She knew how to make their skin crawl, especially when you were sitting in the expensive apartment that she owned.

"I don't know..." Kelsey sighed, "I'm a little tired."

Ashton's face fell. He wasn't sure if he was more sad that she didn't want to go out or if it was because she didn't want to go to Bunny Cakes. He already missed the smell and the homey feeling.

"Yeah, alright," Ashton waved a hand at her, "I get it. Go get some rest, and I'll prepare us a nice salad or something."

"Oh, thank you, Ashton. That would be great," Kelsey grinned a perfect smile. Ashton nodded.

"But, if it's okay with you—I kind of want to meet up with Calum for a beer. He's having some guy troubles lately," Ashton lied smoothly. To humanize him, it wasn't a complete lie. Calum was having guy troubles. They were just troubles that involved trying to get in some twink baker's pants. But, Ashton had no intention of meeting with Calum that night, therefore nullifying the honesty in his story.

"Yeah, sure. I'm just gonna turn in early," Kelsey kissed Ashton softly and left the room. Ashton couldn't focus on anything other than the paranoia of whether or not his lips tasted like sugar.

He went to the kitchen, chopping fresh kale and berries. He made the salad just as Kelsey would prepare it herself. Maybe it was his guilt that kept him tossing bland salad in a Tupperware bowl. Maybe it was his huge heart. Ashton just wanted to be normal for Kelsey—even if their version of normal was far from what he had imagined.

Ashton left the bowl closed securely with a lid on their dining room table. And he left a note that read:

Be back soon. Sleep well
-A xx

Ashton got in his car, silently scolding himself for wanting more of the decadent desserts. Twice? In the same day? It was the clear response of a man addicted—a man deprived.

He parked outside of the shop on the cutely named: Rosemary Street that Ashton had only recently taken notice of. The shop looked even cuter at dusk. All of the fairy lights twinkled in Ashton's eyes, and it was much easier to feel the warmth of the ovens as he opened the door.

Michael had gone home, leaving Ashton with the store's most renowned baker. Luke stood in his pink apron, flipping through a magazine behind the register. When he heard the bell ring, he narrowed his eyes at Ashton.

"So, you've come back for that coffee after all?" Luke asked with a playful laugh, "No one can stay away from my desserts!"

Ashton looked over the display cabinet and shrugged.

"Yeah, I guess I have. The puff pastry was so good that I needed to try some of the other stuff," Ashton spoke honestly. He watched Luke put on a fresh pair of gloves.

"There's nothing wrong with comfort food, whatsyourname," Luke chimed. His voice was like a dulcet water fall washing over a brook—springtime.

"Ashton. I'm your favorite customer's best friend," Ashton teased back.

"Calum? He's not my favorite. He and Michael flirt nonstop. I'm just the messenger when the other person can't be there," Luke shrugged, clicking a pair of tongs together as if he were coercing Ashton into making a choice.

"Yeah, he told me about that," Ashton shifted on his feet awkwardly, "What do you recommend?"

"Me?" Ashton watched a warmth spread on Luke's face. So, the mini celebrity could be modest? Ashton wasn't expecting that.

"Yes."

"Well, today I'd recommend a tart because the spring is the perfect time for something tangy. But since you're obviously having a bad day, I would recommend a Nutella croissant," Luke grabbed the croissant and set it on a ceramic plate, "With a cappuccino on the house, Calum's best friend."

Ashton smiled. Luke was pretty funny and very comforting. Even his taunting jokes relaxed Ashton —in a weird way. It was easy to understand why Calum was so obsessed with this place.

"Okay, and will you be eating one with me?" It slipped. Ashton cursed himself, but the banter was too easy to not engage in.

"Well, I have lots of things to do before I close up the shop, but I am the owner," Luke said, pretending to think it over, "Okay! Go pick a table."

Ashton picked the yellow table with the pink daisy.