Chapter Thirteen: Slutty Brownies

Bunny Cakes had a very bouncy aura that weekend. Instead of it's normal, moody coffee shop music, early 2000s pop-punk played through the speakers. The pink walls were decorated with fruits and brighter hues for the upcoming summer. It still made Ashton feel comfortable, especially when he saw Luke dancing and arranging the display case.

"Hey, Ash," Luke perked up with a glossy smile, placing the Frankenstein's monster of a brownie on a napkin in front of the older man.

"What the hell is this?" Ashton laughed, feeling light today. He even wore his loose white button-down and most casual black jeans. It was a step up for him.

"It's called a slutty brownie..." Luke wiggled his brows, clearly feeling the same way. It's almost as if they were each other's reason why.

"Because Michael's brownie wouldn't sell as well," Michael added before returning to singing along to the song on the speakers. Ashton shook his head fondly.

"Why do they call it that?" Ashton held it up to inspect it.

"Well, instead of just cocoa ingredients, it also has a chocolate chip cookie and an Oreo in the mix. It sounds crazy, but it's so good!" Luke bit into his and gave Ashton a thumbs up. Ashton thought he looked like a chipmunk with his cheeks all full. It made his heart warm.

"Shit, that does sound good," Ashton bit into it, tasting all of the cookies and chocolate at once. He looked at Luke with wide eyes. "Woah! Slutty..."

Luke giggled, shaking his head, "You're cheesy..."

Ashton hummed all fond, dying to kiss that smile off of Luke's face. That would be later...in private, thanks to their latest development.

"When you're around," Ashton mumbled, leaning against the counter as he eyed Luke's figure in the pink apron. He was getting less shameless about his attraction, but that did not coincide with his other worries. 

Michael glanced over at them. Ashton couldn't read his expression because he quickly looked away once other eyes met his. It made Ashton feel paranoid. He shouldn't be so forward with Luke here. Their situation was delicate and just blossoming. They needed time to discover their feelings without an audience.

Luke was blushing, looking up at Ashton through his lashes, "Are we hanging out tonight?" He asked in a soft voice. Ashton died to hear that voice close to his ear, accompanied with soft breaths against skin.

"Mhmm. I'll come to yours, okay?" Ashton gave Luke a look, and Luke nodded softly.

"Good because...I have this recipe that I need to test out," Luke winked at Ashton. Ashton couldn't help but snicker at the innuendo.

"Sounds good, bunny," Ashton whispered the last part extra soft. Luke's reaction was worth it. That blush was so addicting. Ashton had to keep chasing it.

He sat across from Calum at the yellow table. He cut his brownie with a plastic fork, taking his time to finish it because it was actually really good.

"Slutty brownies..." Calum said as if it were some frat boy joke.

"Yep, all the rage," Ashton shook his head.

"You are what you eat, brother," Calum chuckled tauntingly. Ashton swallowed his current bite thickly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ashton scoffed.

"It's a joke, bro. Why would I call you a slut? That word is tired and sex negative or whatever," Calum furrowed his brows. Ashton looked down in embarrassment. He was too paranoid.

"I don't know. I guess I'm just sensitive all of a sudden. Sorry," Ashton sighed. He looked over to the window, watching the sun's rays visibly pour into the shop. It was getting hotter outside as the afternoon broke.

"Ah, I feel you," Calum nodded sympathetically. His attention diverted when Michael took a seat on his lap, dabbing a napkin around his lips.

"You're all messy," Michael whimpered. He licked the paper and rubbed off an imaginary smudge from Calum's chin.

"Thanks, mommy," Calum smirked up at the older boy. Michael playfully shoved him.

"Don't start your nonsense," Michael scolded, but it was apparent that he enjoyed Calum's sex jokes. They were perfect for each other. Ashton didn't feel an ounce of envy for them.

But maybe holding Luke in public would be nice.

Every now and then.

Maybe.

"Ashton and Luke should really come out to dinner with us. We need to keep the group alive," Calum stated without looking away from Michael's eyes. It was as if they spoke their own language. Ashton couldn't imagine what they must sound like to strangers.

"Would you want to?" Michael turned to Ashton. Ashton wiped his own mouth free of chocolate.

"Oh, yeah. Sure. I just have to check with Kelsey's schedule," Ashton forced a smile.

"That's never been a problem before..." Calum looked at Ashton—confused or taunting. Ashton couldn't tell the difference anymore.

"Oh, not a problem. It's just since we've gotten closer lately. She has a lot going on and all..." Ashton shrugged. He could feel icy blue eyes on his neck.

Dare he turn around and see his worst nightmare?

He did. He caught a glimpse of Luke's solemn reflection just before he walked to the back kitchen. Ashton internally screamed.