Cullen's Car

Words: 2547

"You're such an idiot, Bells!" I wrapped her up in my warm arms worriedly. Jake had called me, just after he got the order to take Bella home. The sun was setting, and Bella was shaking as I pushed her into Jake's arms. He would carry her. I knew he wanted to, and I knew he was warm. I knew he would keep her safe.

The pack and I had a talk, they agreed that I would be human until I wasn't. I did everything in a human manner. I may sleep less, I may be a bit stronger, and I may hear and see every little thing, but I wasn't a vampire.

I was allowed on La Push, and still had every respect a human did. At first, they tried saying I was a vampire wearing contacts, but Embry stood up for me. He told them, "No one would ever find that exact color green in contacts, and the little bits of red. No contacts would have that."

He was right, no contacts would the little bits of there, and I would be stupid to even try to cover it up. It was proof something did happen, but that wasn't why it was stupid. No one would ever notice it. No one did, and the only reason the wolves did is because I pointed it out.

"Do you want to drive?" Jake snapped me out of my thoughts. I knew he wanted to, and I would let him.

"No, I'll ride in the back." I winked at him. He rolled his eyes, but said nothing as he set Bella in the truck. She scooted over, still shaking with cold. Her skin was even paler, and her lips had the faintest tint of blue on them.

I hopped in the back, no effort needed. Jake got into the truck, and he began to drive. The wind was nice, despite the small amount of cold, I liked being in the back. I looked at the forest, and trees as we passed them. The air felt light, but I didn't.

I was stressed, worried, lonely, but I felt a bit of peace. I could be happy with a good life without the Cullens. I would never have answers, though, and what if I was immortal? What if I lived forever, and whoever I may marry doesn't?
What if I stopped aging?

I had questions, and no answers.

I ignored Jake and Bella's conversation. I liked being able to block things out. I only really knew what they were saying if I paid attention. I knew Bella liked him. The way she looked at him was different, but also the same as when she looked at Edward. She was clueless in the department, unlike Jake. He knew what he wanted, and it was her. Of course, I wanted her to move on. I didn't have much hope the Cullens would ever come back.

I hadn't settled too much on the thoughts. I struggled, still. My lips still tingle when I thought about him, and his perfect lips. I falter when someone says their names. My smile drops when I remember that I'll never feel the comfort of Esme's hug. I instinctively looked at the empty seat in chemistry, where Emmett would sit. We would joke subtly about
things before class started. I still looked at make up and thought about how much Rosalie would criticize the brands she didn't like. I picked out my clothes like I was going to laugh when Alice made disgusted faces and loud remarks. I still thought about them, and they'd never go away; that's what hurt. Knowing even if they were gone, they would never truly leave.

As we got closer to the house my heart stopped. I could see a little black car in the driveway. I wrapped my arms around my legs, as if it were going to stop me from running in to see the Cullens huddled in the kitchen.

I forced myself to think, would they really come back? Read the license plate.

I ordered myself to crush the little burst of hope that swirled through me. I looked at it, squinting my eyes, even though I could see it perfectly. My heart stopped, and it seemed my breath was stuck in my throat. If I tried to speak it would come out in screams. I wasn't quite sure if it would be screams of terror or of joy. Maybe both.