Chapter 20. Waiting for Joffery

"Come on, girls! Let's go!" Lexie enters the studio to see Abby waving her in. "Join the party. So did everybody have a good time in Chicago?"

Lexie shrugs, standing between Chloe and Mackenzie. It was okay; she could do with less yelling between the moms.

Abby claps before rubbing her hand together. "All right, now let's talk about our group dance. I thought it was beautiful. I thought the costume looked gorgeous on everybody. I gave everybody a challenge with acting. You all did it.

"Now, Maddie, you did a solo this week; I know that there were some boys you were worried about. I know you were worried about Lexie. But you beat them. You can't psych yourself out backstage. Understood?"

"Yes," Maddie sighs.

"Lexie, you need to gain more confidence when it comes to doing other styles," Abby says. "Whenever you do a solo that isn't contemporary, you get in that head and psych yourself out. But I know you can do it. I've seen you do it."

"Yes, ma'am," Lexie nods.

She kind of agreed with Abby. Contemporary and ballet are her comfort zone; she rarely loses with contemporary, so it scares her a bit when she's not doing contemporary.

Abby moves on to Nia and says, "Nia, I watched the trio, and I watched you closely. I feel that you were a beat behind. It's the difficult technical things that you have trouble with. That's what you need to keep working on. Understood?"

Nia nods. "Yes."

"We have a lot to do. I'm gonna get right to the pyramid. At the bottom of the pyramid... Chloe," Lexie blinks. She didn't think Chloe deserved to be on the bottom; she was great in the trio. "You are one of the most advanced dancers sitting in this group, but I want more from you.

"You need a challenge; you need to work up to the next level. Remember, there is no I in team, but there is an 'm' and an 'e,' and it's all about me. Understood? All right, moving on. Nia. Nia, that trio-- you wanted it, you got it. Like I said, you have the style and the sass, but the rest is a mess.

"Paige. You did a great job; you did your part. I want more. Next, I have Mackenzie. Mackenzie, you continue to improve each week. Every week I come into the studio, you learn a new trick, but I don't want it all to be about your gymnastics. Got it?"

Lexie pats Mackenzie on the shoulder as she nods.

"And Brooke," Abby moves on. "I thought your part in the group dance was excellent. Just watch the chin; no more hickeys. Next, we have Lexie. I told you all I needed to tell you in the beginning; work on that confidence. And on top of the pyramid... Maddie. You won the overall high score; you beat Justice, you beat all the boys, and you dethroned Lexie. Congratulations."

Lexie frowns at how Abby put it, but ultimately she didn't care. She likes it when Abby compliments her, but She learned a long time ago that Abby loves Maddie and likes her. Plus, she had Beck.

"Moving on, I need to talk a little bit about this week. There's gonna be a scout from Joffrey Ballet in Michigan at Energy Dance. He is scouting kids to go to an audition for Joffrey," Abby announces.

Lexie let out a small gasp. "That's so cool!"

"Yes, it is," Abby nods. "So you need to be at your best. You need to represent the Abby Lee Dance Company to the best of your ability. Alright, the group number this week is entitled, 'Nip and Tuck.'" Abby glances at the Moms. "I know you talk about having some work done. Kelly."

"What?" Kelly asks.

"We all know what you want," Abby coaxes.

Kelly's eyes widened. "Boobs? Yes!"