Chapter 32. Nationals 90210

"In10sity Dance was intense. I saw a lot of mistakes, and yet this was the week where every solo needed to strive for perfection," Lexie meets Abby's eyes. "This was the last competition before we go to Nationals. You were duly warned. We won that 2011 National title. I want to win it again. Now, this week, we're gonna stay right here in sunny Los Angeles, but we are going to the most famous zip code..."

Lexie covers a giggle when her Mom gasps like a little girl. "90210!" Abby spears Melissa with an annoyed glare. "Sorry. I'm sorry. Sorry."

"We are going to 90210... Beverly Hills," Abby 'reveals.' Lexie shares a look with Maddie when the moms shriek and clap in excitement. What is 90210? I'll ask Beck. "We are going to the energy dance National Invitational. So, let's get to the pyramid. Paige, you knew you were gonna be there; you forgot your dance.

"You have so much more talent than you're able to show, a; because of an injury and b; because you don't remember what you're doing. Next, Nia. I thought you could have been better. I need you to be just as strong at the end as you are at the beginning. Next... I have Chloe. Chloe, you've been consistently in the top five for most of your life. Sixth is not good enough for you. Kendall, you came out there strong.

"You were exciting. You were energized; your tricks were clean. Your movements were sharp; you attacked them. Everything a great jazz dance needs to be. When you started your turns, you were a bit sluggish. Even your mother pointed that out to me. Moving along. Brooke. You won. You were in the overall high score.

"I was proud of you. But you know what? You are capable of doing more. And you're lazy, and you're sitting there saying, 'This is good. I can coast. I'm still winning. I'm still getting a platinum. I can just step out there and do one chin stand and get a platinum.' That's what I see happening. Next Lexie. Now Kendall, take note because you did what needs to be done, but Lexie went above and beyond. It was a routine I would pay to see at a show."

"Thank you," Lexie replies, chewing on the inside of her mouth. It was nice that Abby was complimenting her, but she didn't have to disparage Kendall at the same time.

"Next... Mackenzie. It's the easy stuff that you mess up. The round-off back handspring was great. The side aerial was great. The area walkover was great. This?" Abby raises her hands above her head and shakes them. "Come on. And... Maddie, you're on top of the pyramid. Are you glad to be there?"

"Yes," Maddie replies.

"Was it better to win or better to sit in the audience while everybody else gets better?" Abby asks her.

"Better to win," Maddie mutters.

Now, everyone is in the group routine. And this group routine is very disturbing. And the title is 'My Last Text,'" Abby moves on. "This routine should leave the judges feeling something. Energy dance is allowing us to do five additional routines. Mackenzie, you're doing a solo this week. Maddie, you will have a solo because you just won the overall. Brooke, you will be doing 'The Diary of Anne Frank.' Lexie, you have a solo."

Letting out an unknown breath of relief, Lexie smiles. I was worried there, but I'm glad I have a solo.

"Paige, you will not have a solo this weekend. I want you to concentrate on the group dance, and I want you to remember it. Nia, Kendall, and Chloe, we're gonna teach all three of you the same choreography. So you three get your game faces on, and remember-- they're not your friends. They're you, competitors."

Lexie blinks, leaning out to look at Chloe, Kendall, and Nia. How is Abby going to do this? They're three different dancers.

Abby waves the moms out the door. "Moms, you are dismissed. Girls spread apart. Grand plié in second, heel stretch in front."