Chapter 29. Break A Leg

"Come on, girls! Let's go!"

Lexie enters the room first, leading the charge for the rest of the girls and moms.

"Where are Paige and Kelly?" Abby asks, looking at the door as if waiting for them to appear.

"They're at the doctor's," Brooke tells her.

Abby's eyes widen. "Today?"

"I think it's more serious than just a toe." Christi nods.

"She said it's really swollen," Melissa clarifies.

Poor Paige, Lexie thinks. She can still see the image of Paige's swollen foot in her head, and she still can't believe the other blonde didn't cry.

"Oh my goodness," Abby shakes her head. "I told her not to fool around. Kids, do you understand that your body is your instrument, and it's your job to take care of it. And I said, 'Girls, don't fool around. There's cement underneath this carpeting.' I remember vividly saying that.'"

"Where's Jill?" Christi interrupts. Abby rant.

Abby shakes her head. "Jill is not an official member of this competition team. She would like to think so, but I might forgive people, but I don't forget. So congratulations are in order. We had an amazing trip to Lancaster. I entered four solos in the competition, and I had four girls in the top ten. This week, we are going to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania."

Lexie blinks. Oh, we're staying in town. Yay! I'm kind of tired of sleeping on the bus.

"Let's start with the pyramid. On the bottom, we have Paige. Paige has an outstanding performance. She was sixth overall high score. And then, accidents happen— she might be out a week, or maybe she'll be able to dance today. Moving on. Mackenzie. Mackenzie, if you're in a competition, you're there to learn.

"And next, I have Chloe. Chloe, you did a great job. You didn't have any solo or a duet, so it's a little difficult to judge. But you did a great job in the group dance. "And next, Brooke. Brooke, because of your maturity during rehearsal all week, is why you're up there. And second, on the pyramid, is Nia. Nia, you went out there, and you sold that number.

"Second on the pyramid, we have Maddie. Maddie, you're there because you were second. And at the top of the pyramid is Lexie. Lexie, you're there because you beat everybody else there. You were the highest score the judges gave out. Good job."

"Thank you," Lexie says with a humble smile.

"Alright, now we're all in the group dance except Mackenzie. Mackenzie, you have a solo. Maddie, you'll also be doing a solo; Lexie, you have also have a solo this week. Brooke, you have a solo this week; you will be doing the Diary of Anne Frank. Chloe, you have asked me for years about a duet with you and Paige. This is the week."

Lexie laughs when Chloe gasps, bouncing on her toes. Hopefully, Paige is alright, or else Chloe's going to be really disappointed.

"Moms, I'm gonna dismiss you; go ahead and go," Abby waves them out of the room before turning back to the girls. You guys get the ballet barre out; we're gonna start with the barre."

Walking to the back of the room, Lexie and the rest of the girls grab two barres from the wall and move them to the center of the room. Are we probably doing a ballet-inspired routine? Abby only has us use the barre when there's a lot of ballet technique.

"Hands on the barre girls," Abby orders. "Five, six, seven, plié and one and two. Four, shut your feet— five, six... and hip up."

Half an hour later, Abby starts rehearsing the routine. It's a cute little number entitled 'Alouette,' and like Lexie, though it has a lot of ballet technique in it.