Chapter 2. Widely Inappropriate

"Phoenix was rough," Abby begins. "You guys got your butts kicked. Here in Pittsburgh, you have one everything, but it's clearly a different story when you get on a plane and fly across the country. For years I took the kids by myself. I made sure their hair was right. I made sure their makeup was right. I put the headpiece on. All the Moms wanna go now because they're reliving their childhood through all of you. And now that's when the trouble happens. I am the leader. I am the teacher. You do what I say. When your Mothers are telling you what to do, that's a conflict. You understand? Now Nia, how do you think you did?"

Following Abby's eyes, Lexie turns her head slightly to Nia.

"Well, I think we could have been improved," Nia admits.

Turning back around, Lexie nods in agreement. It wasn't their best performance, and they could have done better. Maybe then they would have won.

Abby nods. "What do you need to improve?"

"Pointing my feet," Nia answers timidly.

"Yeah," Abby agrees. "Very sloppy the feet, the leg, your shoulder, your arm. The same mistake over and over and over, and that pulls the group down." She turns her focus to Chloe. "Chloe, the headband was bad. Next time, what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to make sure my headpiece stays on," Chloe replies.

"Could you have prevented that?" Abby asks her. Chloe nods. "Yes. Good." she moves on to the pyramid. "The group number will be called 'Electricity.' Can everybody say that."

"Electricity," Lexie repeats with the rest of the girls.

"Lexie, you were the highest score of the whole competition, so here you are where you were last week, on top. Maddie, because you were great this weekend, you didn't give me any trouble, and your mother didn't give me any trouble, you're gonna be in the front in the center for the beginning of the routine. Lexie, for the rest of the routine, you will be in the center," Lexie nods in understanding as Abby points to the top. "Everybody's goal should be right here. Yes? Three solos will be competing. Maddie, you will be doing one of your solos, Lexie, you will be doing a solo, and Chloe, you will be doing one of yours. Everybody up, Moms, you are dismissed. Thank you."

"Up, down, down. Switch split," Abby directs. "Step, hit, ball change."

As they learn the routine, Lexie stares worriedly at her sister. Maddie was pale, paler than when they arrived at the studio. And she was already white as a blanket when they got to the studio. She wasn't the only one to notice.

"Maddie, I know you're not well but suck it up," Abby orders. "We've got to get through this, okay?"

Maddie nods, her eyes a little wet. Feeling bad, Lexie subtle rubs her back.

"Wanna go to the bathroom?" she whispers.

Maddie shakes her head. "No. Abby'll be mad."

"But you look like you're going to throw up."

Maddie pushes her away slightly. "I'm fine."

"From the top," Abby orders. "Five, six, seven, eight. And hip, hip, hip, hip."

The further along the got, the more unease Lexie felt until she was raising her hand.

Abby nods at her in acknowledgment. "Yes, Lexie?"

Lexie swallows before speaking. "Can Maddie go to the bathroom? I think she's gonna throw up."

Abby gestures for Maddie to come over. "Sweetie, why-why the tears?"