Chapter Five

Severus arrived promptly at my room at 18:15, announcing his presence with two booming knocks and yelling at me to come out. I quickly ran to my bathroom and made sure I looked presentable. Then I opened up my door to find Severus standing right in front of me with a smug expression. 

Without any words he flicked his wand at my door and it closed behind me and then he began to walk down the hallway. At least he wasn’t dragging me behind him like a dog on a leash. It was an improvement. 

We took a different way then we had before to get to Dumbledore’s office. I guessed it was because students were probably out and about and they had yet to be notified that Hogwarts would be housing the Dark Lord’s daughter. Although I wasn't sure telling them would be a good idea either. I hadn’t a clue what Dumbledore was going to do.

Severus and I arrived at the bottom of Dumbledore’s stairs within a few minutes. Severus sighed before he spoke the password for the stairs to move. 

“Buttermilk bars,” he said.

I raised an eyebrow.

“I thought it was Sherbet Lemon,” I said.

“It changes.”

When we got to Dumbledore’s door, the aroma of some sort of chicken dinner wafted through the air. I breathed it in and savored it. I couldn’t remember the last time I had had a full meal. It wasn’t that I couldn’t make one; I just was always on the run. 

Severus knocked on the door and Dumbledore immediately answered. Dumbledore put an arm around me and led me inside. The first thing that I was noticed was that at his desk there were two chairs, one on each side, and two plates full of luscious food. Dumbledore asked Severus to come and get me in about an hour and then he invited me to sit down.

I took a seat and then just sort of stared at my meal. I felt it would be rude if I just dug in but then again it might rude if I didn’t. My eyes drifted to Dumbledore for answers.

“Eat, please. When was the last time you had a decent meal?”

“I-I don’t remember.”

Dumbledore was already eating and gestured for me to do the same. I picked up my fork and knife and cut into the chicken breast delicately. Finally, I took a bite and I couldn’t even describe how wonderful it tasted. The meat was so tender and juicy. Compared to the berries and plants I had been living off of, this tasted like a delicacy. 

“Well, we can eat and talk at the same time, I believe. I know you’re curious what’s going to be happening in the coming days.” Dumbledore said. I just nodded. “Tomorrow, I would like you to meet the professors that you haven’t already, if that’s alright with you.”

“Of course.”

I wondered if all of the staff would take to me as kindly as Severus and Madame Pomfrey already had. 

“Professor Lockhart has already expressed a great interest about meeting you.”

That name sounded familiar.

“Gilderoy Lockhart, the novelist?” 

“Yes.”

I had read about him in the Dailey Prophet years ago. He had just published his tenth book or something of that nature. And I’m sure Lockhart’s “interest” in meeting me was purely for personal reasons. I could just see the title of his next work: I Survived an Encounter with the Dark Lord’s Daughter!

Dumbledore’s voice snapped me back into the present. 

“And I guess you may be wondering when you will be introduced to Harry Potter?”