Chapter 23 - Erika (Week 19)

Watching as each of the boys takes their turn with each girl, I wonder how my legs have held up for this long. Then again, I don't have to dance anymore, since I was one of the first with each boy. I was Lane's first choice to dance with, at least I assume it's Lane in the white and blue tux, because it brings out the blue eyes I think I'm starting to fall in love with. I put in my same fake highlights to mask my identity and managed to gain enough strength to do the five dances and last at least the majority of the night.

"I already danced with you, didn't I?" I hear from behind me, seeing the familiar white tux of the first guy I danced with. A.K.A. Lane.

"Yeah. Sorry. That side might be of more luck," I say, trying to minimize the number of words I say and use a slightly different accent. Watching him walk away, I notice a few of the members of the band they hired to play walk towards me, and I wonder what's going on. I kind of just want to leave.

"Are you any good of a singer? Our singer is starting to develop a sore throat." I shrug, and they give me a list of songs, most of which I know at least ninety percent of, and a few I've never heard of.

"Sorry for the delay, our singer sadly has a sore throat and can't sing the rest of the night. Hopefully this young lady can do just as well as the previous singer," The drummer, the guy who asked me to sing, announces, apologizing for the lack of music. They start of with a few slow songs that I know by heart after singing them in my basement for years, then moving to slightly more upbeat songs, and I know Lane is in the white tux, because he's tried to study every moment he can, trying to figure out my identity, but between the highlights, the use of a large amount of makeup, and contacts to change my eye color, I don't think anyone will figure out who I am. As the last song of the night approaches, the drummer asks if I have a specific song in mind, and I do. It's just a cute song by one of the female country legends, Carrie Underwood. After standing up here for an hour, I have determined the identity of more than a few people, which we're not allowed to do, but as long as no one notices, I'll be okay.

"I love it when we're at a party

In a downtown crowd

But I can't hear you call me, baby,

With the music up loud

Red wine,

Good times,

No, I don't mind being with everyone else

And then there's nights like tonight that I—

I want you to myself

And tonight I wanna drive so far

We'll only find static on the radio

And we can't see those city lights

And I love the way you look in a firefly glow

Saying everything without making a sound,

A cricket choir in the background,

Underneath a harvest moon

Standing on your shoes in my bare feet,

Dancing to the rhythm of your heartbeat

Oh, whoa,

And we're dancing to the rhythm of your heartbeat

And I wanna feel it like a kick drum,

Beating faster in your chest

I wanna feel you holding onto me

And make me hold my breath

You pull me closer,