Chapter 11-Dirty Harry

Exactly one week later and her son’s perspective mother-in-law was tap-dancing on Jay Poulston’s last nerve.

“So as you can see, the main dining area has a beautiful view over Kensington gardens.” The manager waved his arm expansively towards the large latticed windows.

“Yes, it’s really pretty.” Eleanor glanced nervously down at the notepad full of questions she’d brought with her. “Umm, would it be ok if…?”

As Jay watched, her mother stepped right in front of her, cutting her off. “My daughter would like to do the decoration of the venue herself. I trust that won’t be a problem?” Her tone suggested it had better not be. But to the manager, Fiona Calder was small fry-After all; this man had dealt with aristocracy for years and still managed to keep his head.

“Certainly-Up to a point. However, I must warn you that we do have a few rules for weddings- No red wine, no coloured flowers, guest list has to be perused and approved by the palace…And no turmeric.”

“Well there goes the turkey curry buffet, eh Mum?” Louis’ voice in her ear. She fought to stifle a giggle, before turning to him with a warning look. “Stop it you! Go support your girlfriend! Go on!”

She watched him go, so handsome and grown-up in a fitted navy suit…And her heart gave that now familiar twinge when she realised that he’d gone from boy to man without her. In that transition he seemed to have lost something…The boy she’d known had been so full of fun and life, but this young man had an aura of weariness to him, like the spark inside of him had been snuffed out while she’d been too far away to stop it.  She watched him as he moved to stand beside that beautiful girl, noted how he hesitated before placing his arm carefully round her waist…

“So, how much is the deposit?  And is it refundable?”

“What…In case you leave me at the altar?” Eleanor was only teasing him but Jay was surprised to see that he didn’t laugh…Instead she saw, behind his stiff smile, a flash of…was that shock?…Almost like he’d been caught out.  Then it was gone. He shook his head hurriedly.

“No, no of course not! I meant, like, if we pick another location or something.”

The manager frowned at that, looking him up and down in irritation. But Louis stood his ground, staring him down…. “The hire fee is £14, 000 with £5, 000 deposit, which is non-refundable.”

“Oh, right…Well thank you for your help.  We’ll just look around, if that’s o.k?”

“Certainly.” 

The manager left them alone and Eleanor’s mother swept over to her, her designer heels clicking on the tiles.  “Well, what do we think?”

“Umm, well…”

“Let’s face it darling…It’s certainly not Claridges. They’re the best Art Deco venue in London. They have the private ballroom entrance…even the powder rooms are just divine!”

“Yes, but…”

“Right, I’ll just phone Claridges, shall I?”

She expected Louis to stand up for his fiancé…But instead he stared into the middle distance, his expression somewhere between distracted and bored.  She’d have to do it herself. She moved to stand on Eleanor’s other side, pasting on a smile.

“Which has been your favourite so far? After all, Pet, it is your wedding.”

Eleanor looked up at her with a grateful smile, and Jay was once again struck by her youth…She was, in her opinion, far too young for marriage…They both were. “Actually, we really liked the Natural History Museum. Didn’t we love?” She reached up to paw Louis’ cheek, trying to get his attention. He blinked and turned to her.