The Reparation

Bharath convened an urgent meeting of the court seniors and family. Everyone gathered there looked equally bereft and anxious. Sumantra cast an apprehensive look at Bharath. Their conversation just before this meeting did not end pleasantly. Bharath had categorically refused to take charge, let alone consent for coronation. Like a stubborn child he had argued with the chief minister the inappropriateness of it all and had stormed out.

Passing a quick glance at the gathering, and without any introduction, Bharat began gravely.
"I've decided to go to brother Ram and demand him to return to Ayodhya. I want a contingent to accompany me and the mothers to the forest. Make preparations for the coronation of King Ramchandra."

There was absolute silence. The courtiers exchanged secret glances. Nobody dared utter a word. Bharath left the court with no further explanation.

In his chamber, Bharath sat brooding. He was aware of Mandvi's presence. Shatrughn walked in and sat next to his brother.
"Brother Bharath." Shatrughn kept his hand on Bharath's shoulder. "Brother."
Bharath turned to face Shatrughn. He saw Mandvi leaving the room. He couldn't help be amazed at the way Mandvi understood things without being told.
"Shatrughn." Bharath tried his best to control his emotions.
"Shatrughn, why is this happening? Why is fate so cruel to me?
"Brother." Shatrughn couldn't bear to see his beloved brother, his ideal, so shattered. Only he knew how he struggled to remain calm since the moment they had stepped into Ayodhya earlier in the day.
"Shatrughn. . . ." paused Bharath, overcome with emotion. "Did you ever feel that I was after power? You think I would ever have imagined wanting to assume Brother Ram's position? Tell me, frankly, please."
Shatrughn's eyes brimmed over. He held his brother and said:
"Never brother Bharath ! Never ! You, of all people, seeking power !! Never dear brother !" Shatrughn couldn't manage more than this.
"Then what gave mother Kaikeyi this horrible idea?" Bharath's eyes streamed.
"Why did mother Kaushalya harbour doubt about my integrity? Why, Shatrughn, why?"
A look of fear swiftly passed across Bharath's face.
"Shatrughn . . . Do you think Brother Ram would have thought the same about me? Would he have believed that I actually wanted the kingship?"
Shatrughn didn't have any answer to his brother's questions.
Bharath was distraught.
"I couldn't talk to father. I couldn't let him know that I had no part in this horrendous turn of events."
Shatrughn tightened his hold.
"Shatrughn. . . We have to start early tomorrow. We shall follow the same route Brother Ram took. Sumantraji had said that he would be in and about Chitrakoot. We have absolutely no time to waste. Would you please check if all the arrangments have been made?"
"Yes brother !" said Shatrughn with some enthusiasm, happy to be of any use to his distressed brother.

As soon as Shatrughn left to look into the travel arrangements, Bharath went to Kaikeyi's chamber. The last time he faced his mother, Bharath was exploding with anger, disbelief and disappointment. He knew he was verbally cruel to his mother. But he did not feel guilty about it, convinced he was of the fact that she was wrong, wrong in every way.

He now found her sitting on her bed, with a lost look. She was still, almost lifeless. He touched her feet and kept his head bowed.
Kaikeyi gave a start. She was not expecting anyone near her. She was even more shocked to see it was her son. Awash with guilt and remorse, Kaikeyi was regretting every second she spent listening to the poison Manthara was so sweetly serving her. She couldn't forget Bharat's face, livid with anger, utter disbelief radiating from his usually serene eyes, and the way he was struggling not to attack his mother. She never realised her placid, quiet son had an aggressive side to him.
But then, could she claim that she knew, understood her son? No. She never knew her son at all. All her attention was always for her Ram. She did not really care to know Bharath, happy to see him content under Kaushalya's care.
Even when the princes were sent for education to Sage Vasishta's hermitage, it was Ram she missed the most. She now realised with pain that she never paused to think how Bharath would be at the ashram, if he was happy.
When the princes returned too, her eyes were eagerly waiting to see how her Ram would look now that he was a grown man. She had only a smile and the usual blessings when Bharath came and hugged her, happy to see her after such a long time.
When the princes returned with their brides, she was more excited to meet Sita. Again, with a wrenching heart she remembered how she quite frankly told Mandvi that she loved Ram and Sita more. She also remembered Mandvi had simply smiled just like Bharath whenever she declared her love for Ram in front of him. In fact, the thought suddenly crossed her mind that Mandvi and Bharath were so similar.