Homecoming II

"Mandvi? Are you alright?" asked Sita with concern in her voice.
Stirred out of her stupor, Mandvi tried to smile and said, "yes sister. I'm fine."
"You sure?" I have never seen you this silent ever! By now, you ought to have asked me quite a lot of questions! But I've hardly heard your voice since I came! Isn't that unusual?"
Mandvi gave a wan smile.
"I'm fine sister."
Sita decided not to question her further. The girl was undoubtedly sad. She would ask her later.
Lakshman was happily excited and was engaged in an animated conversation with Hanuman. Ram was looking around with fondness, getting more and more overwhelmed as Ayodhya neared.
Bharath was shocked to realise that emptiness could be so loud. Despite this day, despite the relief and joy, he was missing something as though a half of him was hollow.
". . . over there?"
"Bharath?"
"Huh! Yes brother?"
"I was asking about that glow in the sky? What could that be?"
Bharath smiled and said, "you'll know soon, brother."
He wondered if Mandvi had noticed the glow and sincerely hoped that when they reached the city she would cheer up.
The glow deepened as their destination neared. Though it had been rainy, now the clouds seemed to have decided to hold in the showers.
Lakshman was the first to spot a tiny flicker in the thick darkness below. Soon, many such flickers could be spotted here and there.
And without much warning, they entered into the golden glow of a million lamps burning at all possible places and corners imaginable.
They had entered Ayodhya.
Lakshman and Hanuman were eagerly looking around, genuinely elated. Ram was speechless as he looked at Sita who held onto his hand.
Once again, pure joy reflected off Bharath's face. It was exactly as he had visualised. He owed it to Shatrughn for the perfect execution of his plans.
Looking at the overjoyed Ram, Lakshman and Sita, Bharath sent a prayer of gratitude to the one above. This was what he was looking forward to, this was what he so badly wanted. This was the moment he had been craving for since that day Ram had sent him back from forest. This moment, when Ayodhya would embrace her one and only king. 
Even as he soaked in the cheer, even as he felt light for the first time in 14 years, he was not unaware of the emptiness by his side. 

It was this joy that she had prayed for all these years. Finally, her Bharath was genuinely happy. Despite everything, Mandvi could no longer remain insensitive to Bharath's happiness. That alone mattered to her. He was okay, he was alive. What more could she ask for. She slowly took in the brightness around her, willingly letting it enter her mind.
************************************
Ram asked the viman to be stopped at the entrance to the kingdom. From the gate onwards it was a long curving line of lamps -- on the road, at doors, walls -- wherever eye could reach there was light, the pure brightness of love and devotion, dancing in slender flames.

Ram was breathless.

There is always a moment of absolute silence, a pause, just before an unleashing, an explosion of emotion. Ayodhya was now witness to that moment.
The denizens who have been waiting eagerly to set sight on their prince, their king, were now registering the presence of Ram and Sita.
In a flicker, there rose the cry of intense joy, as everyone jostled to see and touch Ram, as though they want to personally confirm that he was back.

Holding bck the riot of emotion within him, Ram took hold of Sita's hand and entred his beloved city, followed by Lakshman and Hanuman even as flowers showered on them from all directions.

Bharath lingered back, trying to take in everything, his whole being beaming. He was deliberating whether to take Mandvi's hand as they entered. After all, it was a homecoming for them too. But he was hesitant. She was upset with him. Earlier that day she had slipped her hand away when he had held her. Of course, she was too overwhelmed then.
Would she mind now?
Bharath stole a glance behind him. He still felt odd at the strange sense of emptiness around him. He wouldn't be able to bear if she refused to take his hand again. He hoped he still had time to make up to her.
He took a step forward.

What struck Mandvi most was that moment of expectant silence and the sudden cascading of joy. As the crowd ushered in their prince, Mandvi saw Bharath hanging back. He was happy yet he looked strangely lonely. In that instant she felt all the love and affection she had carefully accumulated and kept closed and safe within her these years clamouring to burst forth. But she wondered if he wanted her love. Meanwhile Mandvi was battling with the hope, the yearning, the image of Bharath holding her hand as they entered Ayodhya. The first time he took her hand voluntarily she had allowed her silly sentiments to cloud her mind and withdraw from his hold. She was regretting that badly now.
He had looked back. And then moved on. Nothing had changed, thought Mandvi. He didn't need her. He never needed her, for that matter.
She followed his steps fighting down her tears.

Shatrughn was running towards Bharath.
"Bharath!" Shatrughn hugged his brother tight even as he began to shed tears.
"Shatrughn!" Bharath embraced him wholeheartedly. "But what are you doing here brother!? You are supposed to be at the palace! There . . . You . . . ."
Shatrughn shushed his brother.
"Everyone has reached the palace, please don't worry. I came since I didn't see you with them. And . . . well . . . I had to see you . . . I. . .Bharath !"
Shatrughn held on to his brother as a child would hold on to its favourite toy.
"What happened my dear!?" Bharath was amused.
"How could you even ask that brother? I . . . I couldn't be at ease till I saw you Bharath. I just couldn't. I was really worried when I didn't see you. Why didn't you walk in with them?"
Bharath smiled.
"Welcome back home Bharath, Mandvi. Come, let's go."
Shatrughn held on to his beloved brother.