Hearsay

Ayodhya grew progressively festive as Sita's pregnancy advanced, and the citizens eagerly awaited their Ram's child. The general joyousness was doubled as Urmila too was expecting. The three mothers, Mandvi and Srutakirti now had their hands full and didn't spare anything to ensure the comfort and happiness of the would-be mothers. While Sita was, by now, used to the pampering she received from everyone around her, Urmila was just beginning to bask in the glory. And every time Mandvi looked at the happy Urmila, her heart felt full and at peace. Her sister deserved this and more for all she had gone through.

"Mandvi ! Mandviii !"
Srutakirti waved her hands in front of Mandvi who seemed totally lost in thoughts.
"Huh? What happened? Is everything alright Kirti?"
"I don't get you sister. One moment you seem pleasantly lost in some wonderful dream, and the next you become anxious and scared ! What's with you!?"
Mandvi laughed at her sister's chiding. Ever since she and Bharat had returned from Nandigram, Srutakirti had been mothering her. Mandvi often wondered at the change that came over sister in the fourteen years. Though the youngest of the lot, Srutakirti had become extremely resourceful and full of practical wisdom in these years, yet retaining the mischievous inner child in her.

Mandvi hugged her.
"Are you okay Mandvi? I sometimes sense the old silence returning in you," Srutakirti said sadly. "Did you fight with brother Bharath?"

Mandvi laughed again. Fighting with Bharath was such an incredible idea, she couldn't even imagine it.

"I'm fine Kirti. There's nothing wrong."
"You know, when I called you out of your day dreaming you looked startled?"
"Obviously! I was lost in thoughts and you were almost screaming my name !"
"Mandvi, you looked scared. What were you thinking about?"
"I was only thinking about Urmila and feeling great that she is happy now. Kirti, sometimes memories crowd in, and may be somewhere I was thinking about the past, which might be why I looked anxious to you."

"But it's over dear ! Now everything is fine ! That dark phase is over Mandvi and I insist you must never think about it again. Please."
Srutakirti hugged her sister.

"As you say my dear," smiled Mandvi. "Come let's gather the flowers for the evening prayer. It's already late."
************************************
Bharat wondered why Ram was absent from the evening prayer. He was aware that his brother had gone out into the city, something he did regularly, under disguise. But it was unusual that he had not returned by prayer time. Though it was not a matter of great concern, Bharat couldn't repress the rising anxiety in his mind.

Ram hadn't returned for dinner either. Sita wondered loudly what was keeping him out so late and Kausalya reassured her at the same time teasing her that she should get used to her husband being a busy and dedicated king.

************************************
Bharat looked out into the moonless night so lost in thoughts that he did not realise Mandvi had been standing near him for a while.
"Mandvi . . . "
She held his hand and tried to reassure him as best as she could. She understood the nameless fear they both felt but there was nothing either of them could say or do.
"Don't worry. . . ."
"Mm."
"Try to get some sleep. You have been busy all day and you look tired. Come."
Bharat followed her and once again thanked his stars for his lovely wife. Everybody often commended his calmness but little did they know how much he drew his peace and calm from this lady. As Mandvi stroked his head, helping him to relax, Bharat thought what he would do without her. He was a detached person yet Mandvi was one person he kept very close, and he knew for sure he would be lost without her.
"Stop thinking so hard," Mandvi said.
"I can't, I won't," smiled Bharat.
Mandvi laughed and he could see the anxiety in her eyes being replaced by a sparkle which was exclusively his own.
He pulled her to him and felt that instant relief which he was now used to. Mandvi could hear his heart beat fast. And she desperately wished their fears were unnecessary and held tight to him.
************************************
Bharat walked fast to Ram's chamber, worry accompanying his steps. Such an early summons from his brother did not bode well. When he reached the chamber, he was a bit surprised to see that Lakshman and Shatrughna weren't there
Ram was standing near the window, looking out, his shoulders stooped.
"Is everything okay, brother?" Bharat did not wait for greetings.
Ram didn't move not did he acknowledge his brother.
"Brother?" Bharat moved closer, and Ram jerked as though snapping out of some unpleasant dream.
"Bharat!"
"Yes brother. Is anything the matter? Is Ayodhya in danger? Where is Lakshman?
"No. . . no. . .I . . . no."
"What happened? Tell me."
"Bharat . . . ."
Bharat slowly made him sit on the couch near the window. He had never seen his brother so speechless. Something was gnawing him from inside.
"When did you return last night? Was Lakshman with you? Where is he?"
"I want to talk to you Bharat about . . .  about some things."
"Yes brother. I'm here to listen. Tell me."
"Bharat, among the four of us, you're the one most well versed in governance and most aware of royal duties. And I know if I ask you for an opinion you'd give me an honest and unbiased one."
Bharat did not know where this was going and could do little beyond a slight nod.
"What would you say a king's first priority was, Bharat? His people or his family?"
Bharat was taken aback at such a basic question from his brother who was righteousness incarnate.
"Is that a serious question brother?" Bharat couldn't help asking.
"Yes. I want to know."
"But. . . . why do you need me to answer that!"
"Bharat please. . . . just answer me. "
It was for the first time that Bharat saw his brother so restless.
"Of course his people, brother."
"When a king is also a son, a brother, a husband and father, what role should he give prominence to?"
Bharat was now thoroughly confused.
"Brother. . . . whats the matter?"
"Isn't the king expected to be a role model, Bharat? To do the right thing always? Despite consequences?"
"Yes."
Ram fell silent. Bharat waited.
"If a king decides to ignore certain things for his own benefit, would that be considered right or wrong?"
Bharat was clueless.
"Answer me brother, if a king chooses to ignore something, would he be wrong?"
"Well, brother, it depends. If it is related to the welfare and well being fibthe people, he would be wrong. If the consequences are not likely to affect the fabric of the society, then it may not be wrong."
Ram sighed.
"Whats the matter brother?"
"Bharat, I'm . . . I don't . . . ."
"Please tell me."
"Bharat, last night I was in town and I happened to overhear a conversation which has upset me no end. I heard men talking about someone whose wife is suspected of transgressing. They were debating, rather finding fault with the husband forgiving her and taking her back. They were unhappy about it and . . . and they were saying how society reflects a king's standards. . . ."
Ram went quiet again.
"They were . . . they were talking about Sita, Bharat. They . . . they were questioning her purity. . . ."
Ram was distraught.
Bharat was stunned and he was at a loss for words.
Ram looked up to his brother, eyes brimming.
"What do I do Bharat?"
Bharat held his brother's hand tight.
"I know if one person feels so, there may be others who might have thought so at least once. I know it is impossible to convince each and every citizen in this kingdom about my wife. I know I can't subject her to public judgement.
What do I do Bharat?"
Bharat looked at his brother and was defeated by the helplessness he saw in his eyes. He never imagined he would ever see him, his hero, so despondent. He had no words to reassure him.

The two brothers sat in utter silence for a while. The dawn had broken but the brightness and bird sounds did not feel a bit cheerful.

"Bharat, I have made a decision. I just wanted to run it by you. You are the only person who'd understand."

"What decision?"

Ram's internal struggle to contain the words he hated to utter was clear on his face.

"I must ask Sita to leave the palace."

Bharat looked up in shock.

"You disapprove, I see. Yet you know I'm not wrong, Bharat."

"But brother . . . . "

"A king does not have the luxury of options, Bharat. I must take action so that 'the fabric of the society' is not affected, as you said."

"But . . . ."

"But what, Bharat? What's the next option? Shall I abdicate the throne? I would most happily do that but I cannot, I must not thwart the trust, love and expectation the citizens have bestowed on me. I owe them a good governance. It is my duty. And as you said, for a king, the people come first. A king is only a king, not a man who has ordinary needs and dreams."

Bharat had nothing to say. His mind was blank.

"Bharat, I will be announcing my decision soon today. There will obviously be repurcussions. But I must do it. And I hope you won't turn against me."

"Brother, shouldn't you think again?"

"Is there room for thought my dear? Be honest. If there is, I'm more than willing to think any number of times. That's why I called you. Give me an option. You know the rules."

Bharat walked out of the room, dejected. The nameless fear had now taken a proper shape. He did not want to face the rest of the day.