Chapter 6: Troubled Youth

After school was finished, as the bell sounded, signalling for home time Trixie grabbed a backpack and walked out the front of the school, expecting her mom or dad to pick her up. Instead, she saw her mom's partner and her stepfather. Why was Lucifer here? I know we're family since Mom got remarried, but he never normally picks me up. She tosses her backpack in the back of his black Corvette. "Lucifer? Why are you here? Where's Mom?"  She asked her stepdad, frowning in bafflement.

"Your mother had some work to catch up on," Lucifer informed the 11-year-old almost near teenager. "So she asked me to pick you up instead, I hope that's all right with you?" He leans on the black metal car sticking his hands in his pocket.

"Where's Dad?" She asked him not even answering his first question. He rolled his eyes at her bombarding questions. So much like her mother when she was a cop.

"I'm afraid he's on an emotional bender." Trixie knew her dad wasn't too happy that her mom had remarried someone like Lucifer, at first, which she didn't understand why he was doing that, her mother deserved to be happy with someone like her stepdad. "Plus, what do you need either of them for? I'm much more fun than the two of them combined, and, you always love my company. What's changed, urchin?"

"Nothing. I was just curious as to why my parents aren't here..." She said coolly with shrug and wasn't too comfortable sharing what happened at school today. Her stepdad noticed Trixie kept adjusting her cap until it was hiding part of her face, making him frown in scepticism and raised his brow before pointing it out to her.

"What happened to your eye?" He asked. Long ago Trixie found out that her stepdad was the actual Devil. Which is why I think I already knew before mom and he told me, I mean how many people do I know that's called 'Lucifer'? As an actual name? It was a huge dead giveaway, not that it wasn't like he was keeping it from me, I had heard him say 'I'm the Devil' a couple of times. When my parents thought I was asleep; then everything just connected from that point on. Trixie was very reluctant to tell Lucifer that she got beat up by the older kids today. Again. Knowing very well how protective he can get which she appreciated at times to know that he always has her back ad much as her mother's.

"Nothing... I just hit my head. That's all." She lied, shrugging casually.

"Beatrice Espinoza what have I told you about lying? You know how much I hate it when people lie to me."

"Not to lie to you, I know, it's just that... well... I don't know-" She was at loss for words and looked down avoiding Lucifer's captivating gaze which she knows she would be compelled to tell him if she did that.

"Don't make me use my mojo on you to get out the answer."

"How do you know I'm not immune to your mojo like mom is and it doesn't work on me?" She asked making a comeback in the process.

"You cheek little devil. To answer your question because your mother was your step-grandfather's gift for me, it's not a DNA thing, so therefore, I'm 100% certain you don't have your mother's immunity to my mojos, I'm afraid." Trixie cussed one of the words that were kiddish friendly no thanks to Lucifer for teaching it to her when she was 7-years-old.

"Motherflunker! Well, I'm not the one who is the devil here, Lucifer." She shot back just as smug giving him an impish grin; similar to one of his own. Trixie saw one of her teachers come out who smiled her way and she quickly hurried over to them. The 11-year-old took that cue for her to leave trying to make her stepdad move but he didn't budge, her strength compared to his was useless. "Ok! Let's go and talk about my day on the way home."