Truth and Trust Go Hand In Hand

"How can I know that I can truly trust you? Especially after the stunt you just pulled? I can't take that chance, only for it to come back and hurt me in the end. I'm really sorry, Tom. I wish I could, but I just can't."

"I don't know how I can show you that you can trust me. But you can. You can, y/n. Please... please just trust me," Tom begs.

"I really want to Tom, I do. But it would break me if I trusted you, and then you betrayed me. Again. And I just can't bring myself to take that chance."

"Then what can I do to prove to you that everything I've said is true?"

"Y/n/n... he's telling the truth," Wendy murmurs softly. Externally, I don't react at all to this. Internally however, I'm screaming.

Of course. Of course he's telling the truth. And what sucks is that every part of me wants to believe him. Except for this little voice in my head that's smugly telling me that he's lying and is going to betray me again. And I'm scared. So scared that if I don't listen to it, it'll be right and I'll be so mad at myself afterwards for not listening to the signs. But if he is telling the truth right now, and I don't listen to him, then it just makes me look like a heartless wench who couldn't look past her own problems for the sake of the greater good.

I sigh, before turning around and looking right at him. I let all of my distrust for him show in my gaze as I hold his eyes in a serious stare. Without breaking eye contact, I give him a warning, "So help me God, if you're lying and someone else pays for it, then there will be no place on Earth that you'll be able to hide from me. Do you understand?"

Tom nods, understanding blazing in his eyes. He knows what's at risk now. All that's left now is to see which side he picked and whether or not he'll be left standing at the end of it all.