𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍

┌─────────────────┐

"𝙈𝙮 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙 𝙞𝙨 𝙛𝙞𝙭𝙚𝙙 𝙤𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪, 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙖𝙢 𝙄 𝙩𝙤 𝙙𝙤?"

└─────────────────┘

(𝟏𝟓 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞)

𝐉𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝟑𝟎𝐭𝐡, 𝐒𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐲

"𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄, 𝐎𝐍, Val. This is the highlight of your day, admit it."

Valerie gave her friend an exasperated look, which elicited a goofy smile to be sent her way. Stupid Steve Harrington and his stupidly contagious smile. She had more pressing issues at hand — like erasing last night from her sad existence. 

"Steve, it's like nine on a Saturday morning and I'm severely hungover. I should be in bed right now, eating bacon and regretting my life's decisions," Valerie whined. She didn't even have to look at him to know he was rolling his eyes at her.

The pair left the brightly lit expanse of the mall's walkway and trudged into Scoops Ahoy, Steve a little dejectedly since he realized he now had to work for the rest of the day, while Valerie perked up at the thought of an ice-cream sundae. Her mood was only further improved as she happily took in the sight of near empty store, almost entirely void of grimy children and obnoxiously loud teens. 

"I'm honoured you got up just to drive me to work today," Steve grinned, a hand pressed over his heart to show his gratitude. It was Valerie's turn to roll her eyes, "Yeah, yeah. Just make sure you actually put fuel in your car next time, this isn't going to be a regular thing — your choice in music is borderline criminal."

"I'm sorry who drove your drunk ass to and from the party last night?" the boy questioned with a pointed glare, shoving her slightly to the side as they walked. 

"Aren't you supposed to be starting work now?" Valerie interrupted smoothly with a dismissive wave at his antics. Steve pouted, responding with a sarcastic salute before disappearing into the staff room to change into his uniform. 

Now alone, Valerie walked over to the store's counter and studied the menu, but after a couple long minutes, she found herself drumming her hands impatiently on the oak surface, waiting for Steve to return. 

Finally, the sound of brisk footfalls headed to the counter and she stole another look at the ice cream display, making a final decision on the dessert she wanted, weighing up a strawberry sundae or a choc banana float.

The steps came to a halt, and Valerie didn't even bothering to look up, she simply pointed at the desired flavour in the display fridge, relaying her order to Steve with a lazy smile, "You're a chronic time waster, you know that Harrington? It's been at least ten minutes."

Except it wasn't Steve.

"Morning, Hopper," Robin greeted cheerfully, a large grin plastered on her face as she leaned casually on the counter. She didn't even bother scooping the ice cream. Valerie blinked at her, completely unamused by the overcompensating attitude. She didn't need this so early in the morning — her hungover brain wasn't in any state to be having a Robin-related interaction. 

"Charmed," Valerie replied stonily, averting her eyes from Robin's face to look for Steve. She didn't remember much from last night, only bits she'd been able to piece together from her muddled memory, but there was a moment in the bathroom she remembered clear as day.