Chapter 9

"Tong, will you sit beside me, please? I wanted to talk to you." Pok's mother asked as Tong was leaving a drunk Pok in his bedroom.

Tong came and sat beside her. "I want to say something to you. I don't want to put much pressure on you but I am not physically well. I am suffering from cancer and I really want my son to do well even when I am not there. My son is a reckless, careless, spoilt brat. He is arrogant and loves to spend his time doing mischief. You, on the other hand, are such a brilliant student, kind, helpful and you seem to know more about reality than him. My Pok really cares about you. Will you please promise me to always be by his side and always help him grow? I don't want my son to be alone when I am gone. He only has me. I have no one to take care of him when I am gone. Please take care of him for me. I want my son to be a successful man in future and not throw his life away like this. Please help him after I am gone." She broke into tears.

Tong held her hands and was in tears himself. He consoled her and assured her he would do whatever it takes to always be by his side.

The next morning, Tong received a message from Pok.
"Tong, don't come to teach me from today. I asked you to help me. Now I am asking you not to."

Tong remembered what Pok's mom told him last night.

Pok was absent at the university that day. Tong tried to call him multiple times but Pok didn't pick up.

Days went by. Tong dropped by Pok's house but no one was there. The house was sold off soon after.

Tong asked the guard, "Do you know why they sold the house?"

"No, sir," was all he got. No further information was known by anyone.

Tong was clueless on what happened.

On the day of the dissertation submission, Pok was back at the university. Tong was shocked, happy and tensed to see him.

He tried to talk to Pok but Pok left before he could reach him.

Tong and Sandee were the teaching assistants to the professor who was judging their dissertation.

Tong had access to the files and so did Sandee.

Tong went in and in a state of shock, fear and the promise he made to Pok's mother, he opened up Sandee's dissertation and swapped his name with Pok's file.

After the results were published, both Pok and Sandee stood first and Tong stood second from their batch.

Sandee went to see his professor after to thank him before leaving.

"Your dissertation on poverty was top-notch."

"Poverty?" Sandee asked to see the file. He then asked, "Sir, who wrote their dissertation on Public Investment?"

"Oh, Pok did. His was as good as yours."